Minimal hot water after replacing cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Justinho

Reaction score
We recently replaced the cartridge on our shower faucet after it was sticking (so hard that it wouldn't turn). I don't know the brand, but the plumber who did the job mentioned it was a Michigan or something like that. Replacing the cartridge fixed the sticking issue but now the shower is much colder, almost lukewarm. Is there any way to adjust this or is this a common issue? We don't want to turn up the hot water heater since it may not solve the issue, will cost more over time, and this wasn't an issue before. Any help would be greatly appreciated- thank you very much in advance.
DSCN1061.JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
OFten, there's a mechanical stop on the handle assembly that limits how far you can turn it. Assuming this is a single-handle control, the further you turn it, the less cold water is allowed to pass, so you need to look for a screw, cam, or some other mechanism in the handle that is limiting how far the thing can turn, and adjust it so you can turn it further. On almost all of them, you have to remove the handle first. Does the handle turn less than it did before? IF so, that's the problem. If that isn't it, there could have been some debris dislodged when the water was off then turned back on, and it's clogging the inlet to the cartridge.

Justinho

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help- it was adjustable. I took it apart and adjusted it and it seems to be working much better. Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Glad to help, and pleased that you came back to indicate the results, as it helps others as well!

In theory, that limit is supposed to be adjusted to a max of NGT 120-degrees, and lower is recommended as 120-degrees can produce second degree burns on young or old whose skin tends to be thinner (and is hotter than most any sane person should use a shower!). Hassle is, at least where I live, in the summer, the 'cold' water might be 60-degrees or more, while in the winter, it could be much closer to 33. So, adjust it in the winter to a safe temp, and it will be very hot in the summer. Adjust it in the summer, and it will not be hot enough in the winter. For this reason, I prefer a thermostatically controlled valve - on mine, I don't need to change it winter/summer and it's always my preferred temp as the valve adjusts itself...this type of valve has a volume control and a separate temperature control, so I only have to essentially turn it on and off, leaving the temp the same position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks