Mexican Snowbird hacks TT pumping Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Splashoil

Retired!
Reaction score
This is a report of a problem solved for now. I’ve been in a warm place for several months. But I had left in a hurry and failed to diagnose a balky ecm pump that accumulated magnetite over summer inaction. The Wilo eco pump apparently jammed the wet rotor and failed to start during heat calls. The identical boiler pump looped through a hydraulic separator still works during heat calls but shuts off when “setpoint reached.” Initially i blamed the outdoor reset sensor and replaced that before flying South.
During a cold snap, the system pump did not shove any heat to my cast iron baseboards. Sixteen feet is now cracked beyond repair. Fortunately my son discovered water cascading down the basement wall. Using What’s App video chat I was able to get the isolation valves closed for half the system and restore heat in the rest. But the pump issue did not go away. I think magnetite may be the culprit. After the summer lull.
I ordered in a Taco 00e pump which has several features that may help including a running light. A buddy installed the new pump during another What’s App video call. When the call ended the new pump was running. Next morning the pump was not responding to heat calls. I then decided to use a Taco relay to take the thermostat signal direct to the pump and pass the heat call on to the Triangle Tube Solo 60. Now the pump responds well to heat calls.
i was unable to do any more diagnosis on the TT settings. But the system pump now responds to heat calls through the relay. Not sure status of the TT relay inside the Solo 60 but at least the house has warmed back up.
Thanks to all on this Forum who have shared their knowledge.

Splashoil

Retired!
Reaction score
Next year there will be a wifi camera with remote access to look for these led lights!

Attachments

• 72827238239__EE3533F8-3C85-47F1-BE76-100E1CE19E82.jpeg
    72827238239__EE3533F8-3C85-47F1-BE76-100E1CE19E82.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 33

Fitter30

Reaction score
Not to beat you up sorry for your loss. To trust any mechanical system without a backup. Glycol in a radiate system, draining domestic water down glycol in traps and all valves left open. Lesson learn when i was first got into this trade customer had two houses left to Florida for the winter loss two homes one didn't pay the gas bill the other boiler failed. 1970. Water meters didn't fail.

Splashoil

Retired!
Reaction score
Short Update: The Taco relay has kept the System pump working well and passes a signal to the boiler during a thermostat heat call. Unfortunately the boiler has a mind of its own!
My son found the System pump running during a heat call But the boiler screen sensor report showed ~43F supply and return with a target temperature of 112F and “Setpoint Reached.”
During a video chat we ultimately disconnected the outdoor sensor and selected “Switch and Setpoint” from the menu to get the boiler to finally fire up and make heat.
i can adjust the Setpoint down to 120F to stay in the condensing range and run longer cycles.
Looking down the road when I have to leave this warm place and deal with these issues I’m trying to decide what to do. One option would be to use a Tekmar control such as the #294 which would essentially replace the built in TT firmware with communication via the Modbus interface. That would come with an outside sensor and a System sensor as well as Wifi ioT connectivity. A ruff estimate for that and an additional required TT interface module would be around $3k.
In my area control technicIans with the required license and experience are very scarce.
(Bellingham, WA 98225). I welcome any input into my situation. The TT Solo 60 has performed well until the outdoor reset issue emerged. This is the second sensor for this install where my screen assures the “Setpoint Reached” while it’s freezing outside with no heat.

Splashoil

Retired!
Reaction score
Short Update: The Taco relay has kept the System pump working well and passes a signal to the boiler during a thermostat heat call. Unfortunately the boiler has a mind of its own!
My son found the System pump running during a heat call But the boiler screen sensor report showed ~43F supply and return with a target temperature of 112F and “Setpoint Reached.”
During a video chat we ultimately disconnected the outdoor sensor and selected “Switch and Setpoint” from the menu to get the boiler to finally fire up and make heat.
i can adjust the Setpoint down to 120F to stay in the condensing range and run longer cycles.
Looking down the road when I have to leave this warm place and deal with these issues I’m trying to decide what to do. One option would be to use a Tekmar control such as the #294 which would essentially replace the built in TT firmware with communication via the Modbus interface. That would come with an outside sensor and a System sensor as well as Wifi ioT connectivity. A ruff estimate for that and an additional required TT interface module would be around $3k.
In my area control technicIans with the required license and experience are very scarce.
(Bellingham, WA 98225). I welcome any input into my situation. The TT Solo 60 has performed well until the outdoor reset issue emerged. This is the second sensor for this install where my screen assures the “Setpoint Reached” while it’s freezing outside with no heat.

Splashoil

Retired!
Reaction score
Sometimes it pays to keep scratching. Supply House.com has a decent price for the Tekmar #294 control with fabulous feature. I found the TT AM4 module new in the box at Boston Heating. There may be enough left over to get a licensed control tech to install the two items.
i‘m going to ask Supply House to confirm that my Solo 60 condensing boiler is included in the pre sets in the Tekmar settings.
i still would like to hear from anyone who has set this up with TT. The Tekmar includes an Ethernet connection in addition to Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Fitter30

Reaction score

Splashoil

Retired!
Reaction score
There are many ways to skin the cat. Unfortunately I made choices to be in a warmer place during the winter. That has made managing my heat more difficult. If I was home there would be lots of time to tweak and tune stuff. But down here miles away I’ve had to depend on drafted help with WhatsApp video conference calls and improvised solutions.
The Tekmar 294 control seems to be the best solution by providing direct control via internet.
it comes with an outdoor sensor and a system sensor. I paid extra to get the optional pressure sensor. There is a connection for modulation control as well as Modbus communication for data including boiler information and lockout information. Set point can be remotely controlled from anywhere. The Ethernet connection can be wired to my router. Watts has absorbed Tekmar and has a robust app for managing the 294. YouTube has some videos touting all these features.
I will need a control tech to set the 294 up and program the TT Solo 60.
i am a little skeptical about ioT stuff but in this case don’t see an alternative. Wattsonsite will soon be a daily log on just like my weather app to keep fire burning.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Why not add boiler glycol to the heating system doesn't have to be for freeze protection just to slush. Rv glcol in all drains, toilets and blow out all water lines. Wire a 10kw electric furnace in the boiler room thermostat in the living area set 10° below boiler stats, no duct work and door open. What about power failure?

Last edited:

Splashoil

Retired!
Reaction score
I scrapped out my old National non condensing boiler installed in 1974 when the TT went in.
With these 294 Tekmar controls I could have kept it as a backup in event of a power failure. The standing pilot could have fired it and could have delivered some heat by gravity!
i will be happy to just check the system remotely and draft help as needed in event of some catastrophic event. The addition of internet connection is a big step forward if you want to travel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks