Make old gas boiler more efficient

Users who are viewing this thread

pbradley_1

Reaction score
I have an old American standard 1B-J1 boiler using natural gas. I would like to convert the standing pilot to a spark pilot and install an automatic damper such as the GVD-6PL. I have the R8239A1052 fan center and a model 36C03 type 300 gas valve. The input BTU is 180000 and output is 144000. I had a combustion test done a couple years ago and I was told that it was burning at 80% efficiency still. I have received quotes for cast iron boilers and different high efficiency units and I just can't see it paying itself off for 12+ years. It seems like its just not worth replacing the boiler if its still working even if it is 40 years old. Thoughts?

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
It will pay for itself if it saves you money. A proper heat load, calculated design water temperature and from that, ROI.

Spark and damper, 5-7% in the real world. Won't pay for itself very fast for sure. I the old boiler fails in a couple of years it is money wasted for sure.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Steady state combustion efficiency is one thing, the as-used AFUE is another. Most homes in CO will have a design heat load under 40,000BTU/hr which means this pig is probably 3-4x or more oversized for the actual load. With standby & ignition cycle losses running maybe 65-70% true as-used efficiency. A right-sized cast iron boiler would pretty much hit it's AFUE numbers (which presume no more than 1.7x oversizing), and a right-sized modulating condensing boiler could even beat it's rated AFUE if you have enough radiation and a system designer who knows what they're doing.

If you are heating your potable hot water with an embedded tankless coil you have HUGE standby losses. Buying an indirect-fired hot water heater (or a stand-alone hot water heater) and setting the boiler up to run much cooler plus utilizing heat-purge controllers (eg Intellicon 3250HW+) would likely pay for itself in under 12 years, provided the beast lives that long. If you're burning 1500 or more therms/year a ~$150-200 DIY-installed heat purge controller will pay off in under 2 years, probably less than 1 year, depending on the oversizing multiplier.

The better thing to do is make a replacement plan and execute on it. If you have a fuel-use history (and aren't heating half the place with a wood-stove or something) you can size the replacement boiler reasonably without running a formal Manual-J by using fuel-use against heating-degree-day data. With a zip code (to look up heating degree day data from a nearby weather station at degreedays.net and to come up with a 99% outside design temp) and the fuel use between exact billing dates, using the name-plate efficiency of the boiler it takes maybe 10 minutes to come up with a number close enough to use for boiler sizing. If you are planning major upgrades to the house that involve more air-sealing & insulation it's worth running the "after" picture calculations if you're not already at the smallest-of-the-line for boiler sizing, which is where MOST houses should be.

Charlie.f308

Reaction score
Are you looking for a timer? I have a digital timer connected to mine which cuts back on my energy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks