Low water pressure after running well dry

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe_T

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new home owner and I really have no clue how to tackle this situation. The last time I had a plumbing issue I hired someone off of craigslist and they charged me a crazy amount so I'd like to try and tackle this myself.
My well ran dry over about a week of my kids leaving the garden hose on. The valve wasn't completely open, but enough for a steady trickle until I caught it this weekend. Throughout the week I did notice rust colored water when I first turned the shower on in the morning, but it would clear up rather quickly so I didn't think much of it.

Saturday morning we ran out of water. I turned the pump off (it's a 1/3 hp double drop jet pump) and waited overnight for the well to recover. Sunday we still had no water, I learned how to prime the pump and did so. It reached somewhere between 35 and 45 psi and shut off as it normally does. I had water for about 30 after that. The water was rusty so I tried to ran the tub to see if it would clear up. It did not, and we ran out again.

I reprimed the pump but I can't get it over 25 psi.

If my well still has not recovered, would that explain the low (20 psi) pressure?

It's a shallow well, and it's been extremely dry in my area for almost 5 months.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Chances are the jet in the eductor is plugged and you will need to pull it out of the well to clean it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks