Low vol output after new pump install

Users who are viewing this thread

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Not many pump guys around here would go to the trouble of cutting and threading a stick of pvc to get a couple more feet.....which may very well be your problem. Did the bill itemize the drop pipe? How much did he charge you for. You could try setting it on the bottom like you said....if he put it back like it was it should only be 6 inches below the pump.

Lew Hardy

Reaction score
Not many pump guys around here would go to the trouble of cutting and threading a stick of pvc to get a couple more feet.....which may very well be your problem. Did the bill itemize the drop pipe? How much did he charge you for. You could try setting it on the bottom like you said....if he put it back like it was it should only be 6 inches below the pump.
Thank you for your reply. The invoice indicated 124' PVC and 124' wire. The original well drillers report reported 124' well depth. So, when I measured the 126.5' from the bottom of the pump to the pitless adapt just kind of doesn't jibe with the info I got from the pump guy or the well driller (30 years ago). So, the only way I see getting a firm foundation to base my plan of action is to lower the pump until it hits bottom then pull it up 6".

Reach4

Reaction score
So, the only way I see getting a firm foundation to base my plan of action is to lower the pump until it hits bottom then pull it up 6".
I think it is not common to set a pump that close to the bottom. Ten or 20 feet would be more common.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like VA says you probably just need to lower the pump if possible. Yes you can add pipe and tag bottom, then raise it a couple feet and cut the pipe. Probably need to add some wire if it goes much deeper. May only need a few feet to stop it from pumping dry. But the fact that it pumps good for a while then drops to 3 GPM is proof it is pumping the well down. Of course it won't pump as much water when turned to the sprinklers and things that hold some back pressure on the pump as compared to just testing wide open.

Reach4

Reaction score
before it runs out of supply vol--is certainly in excess of 10gal./minute, and after pumping several hundred gals it runs out of water and that is when I see the low gal. output.
Another idea is to have a device that senses when the water level is down to, or near, the pump intake. Have the device stop the pumping for a programmable interval, during which the well recovers. So what, ~20 minutes on followed by 40 minutes off? You program the interval according to what works best for you. The device senses the drop in current, so it knows the water has fallen. Your trees probably won't mind the interruptions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks