Low pressure to house...block

Users who are viewing this thread

sbuc1980

Reaction score
Hi All

A few months ago my big pressure bladder tank popped , I noticed when the pump was cycling on and off more and I was getting little bits of fiberglass blocking the faucets in our home, I changed out the tank to a smaller tank and pressure switch but ever since we have lost pressure to the house, I can't run a shower if someone else is running a faucet in the home. I am thinking a pipe block somewhere as the well has 60psi on the new gauge I installed and its pumping out strong when I opened the top of it.

Is there anything I am missing or could have done wrong here? I am getting the same pressure from hot and cold inside the house, not sure where to start or how to fix this issue, I am pretty handy but don't want to replumb the whole house. Where can I start with this please? No I didn't have a filter...got one to install now though!!

Thank you

Stu

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yours is the typical failure mode for a submersible pump. First the regular cycling causes the tank bladder to fail. Then with a failed bladder the pump cycles it self to death, which is where the fibers are coming from. It is usually a brand preference that causes the pump to wear out before the motor. Usually the motor goes before you start seeing fibers from the pump impellers. The performance of the pump has diminished so much it can't make enough flow for what you are using, so you should see the pressure gauge drop considerably when using water.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a pressure gauge at the well that says 60 psi. While you are running cold water into the tub at maybe 4 or 5 gpm, what pressure shows at the well, and what pressure shows inside at the same time? You can attach a garden hose thread meter to the drain on the water heater, or to a laundry tap.

So you are comparing the two gauges... outside vs inside. Taking a movie of one of the gauges with your cellphone can help diagnose. Having a helper read the other gauge and shout numbers can help.

sbuc1980

Reaction score
Thank you both so much, Valveman, the pump I actually bought only 14 months ago from ACE Hardware, it was a cheaper pump could it go that fast? I did open up the pipe to run it and it really pushed it out, it didn't seem bad pressure when I tested it ?

Thank you Reach4, I just purchased a Home pressure meter and will see what I am getting inside the house, will report back, thank you both again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks