Lost water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

jockwalker1@mac.com

Reaction score
We have lost all water pressure and pump is not kicking on. I checked circuit breaker and nothing has been tripped. I have lived in the city most of my life with no pumps to deal with. Is there a reset or anything in the wellhouse that I can check?? Thanks! Jeff

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes there is a reset, but it tripped for a reason. Sometimes they put a low-pressure trip on the pump so it doesn't sit there and pump air if the water level is too low. If you have one, there will be a small lever on the control you can hold momentarily while the pump (tries) to build up pressure. If that is what happened, then you may have a well level that is too low.

Some motors have a thermal reset and will start to work once they cool off. The pressure switch could be shot and not making contact. A wire could be broken. Or, the pump could be running, but not actually pumping any water because of a cracked pipe, or several other possibilities.

One of the people that works on wells and pumps will likely have some maybe more useful suggestions. The CB could be shot, too. Do you own a multimeter? If not, you might want to buy one. They often go on sale at Sears, HD, etc. for less than $15, and you can buy one for not much more anytime.

Raucina

Reaction score
If its a 3 wire pump, some old control boxes had a reset button. Do not say a breaker is not tripped until you trip it full off and reset it. Many do not show tripped conditions. Open the control box if there is one and check to see if the capacitor is blown - usually blow off their top and oil all around. You might have a pressure switch with low pressure cut out - raise the metal lever at the side and see if pump kicks in.

R

Rancher

Check the pressure switch, it's a small (3"x4") box, either black or gray in color, open it and see if the contacts are closing, sometimes bugs can get fried in the contacts and cause the pump not to start. Also like Raucina said some have a low pressure lock out, that needs to be manually reset.

Rancher

jockwalker1@mac.com

Reaction score
Well, I located the reset switches and I was able to get the pump to fill up the tank. I went to work and received a call from the wife and the water pressure took another dump. I told her how get to the reset and was able to fill her up again. Something is causing it to trip. Guess I will take a look at the pressure switch when I get home. I hope the problem is not in the pump. Thanks guys!

R

Rancher

The pump is easy to fix, I just hope it's not your well running dry, causing the pump to trip.

Where were the reset switches?

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
It could be as simple as a waterlogged tank. Does the pump come on and shut off real quick?

It should run at least a minute and be off for about the same amount of time or longer while running a faucet.

bob...

jockwalker1@mac.com

Reaction score
I think we solved the mystery. Every time we pressed the reset switch, there would be a spark. One of the capactor wires had come loose. Close enough to spark and work every now and then. It is a Franklin box and I will be replacing the whole unit instead of messing around with just the capactors. I would think that is the route to go, don't you think?

R

Rancher

Yes, keep the old one as a spare since you know what's wrong with it.

Rancher

Raucina

Reaction score
Those old boxes with the reset button were pretty reliable - you could keep it working by attaching the capacitor correctly, and even hot melting or siliconing the connection. Hot melt makes a great toolbox addition for securing critical wire connections and is easily removed - insulates too. I would check the amp draw of the motor while running to rule out another more serious issue that may have nothing to do with the box or capacitor. High amp draw might cause the spark-arc at the capacitor that will blow the new box for good as they have no reset button.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks