Looking for best whole house filter recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

sdiamond808

Reaction score
new to this, and don't know about all the various products. I am looking for a whole house filter and reverse osmosis for drinking water. My goal is to remove all heavy metals, chlorine, pesticides, and pharmaceuticals. Any recommendations on brand and systems?

Reach4

Reaction score
Your filtering to remove all of the stuff you list is only for the drinking water, I presume. If not, I don't know how much over $10000 you should expect to pay.

Your RO unit for drinking should have a permeate pump. I am not shopping for an RO unit.

Your RO unit should be fed with soft water, so you may need a softener.

What filtering your water needs before the softener and RO unit depends on your water.

You should probably call a water treatment pro who can prescribe and install your system.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Are you looking to remove pharma products from your whole house water? All heavy metals? All chlorine...

How about "significantly reduce"? The cost difference will be a factor of 100..

What is actually in your water? Are you on a municipal or private well?

We need a lot more information. You question is a little to broad.

M

markcamp

new to this, and don't know about all the various products. I am looking for a whole house filter and reverse osmosis for drinking water. My goal is to remove all heavy metals, chlorine, pesticides, and pharmaceuticals. Any recommendations on brand and systems?
If you are looking for a whole house filter that removes majority of the chemicals, then i would recommend Home Master HMF2SDGC Whole House 2-Stage Water Filter. It comes in 2 stage and 3 stage water filters where in it removes impurities up to 1 micro. It has a high filtration system with flow speed of 20 gallons per minute and very easy to assemble and install.

ditttohead

Reaction score
umm. no

This type of filtration is not overly effective for anything other than sediment reduction and some minor chlorine reduction at very low flow rates. Once flow rates exceed a couple gallons per minute the organic chemical reduction, thm's etc. greatly diminishes.

I am assuming you have little to no experience in the water treatment industry nor do you have any understanding of even basic water chemistry. You really should refrain from making specific system recommendations without having a basic knowledge of what you are talking about.

Matt Peiris

Reaction score
Whole house filter will depend on the size of your house. A typical 1 bed/bath house can go with a simple big blue filter like BB-10CAB that filters out chlorine as well as organic chemicals. A larger house may need a backwashing filter like CCMG-0948. Decide the backwashing filter size after getting to know your maximum service flow needs and available backwash flow rates from plumbing lines.

Undersink ro systems are easier to install and yes, they would reduce all heavy metals, chlorine, pesticides, and pharmaceuticals. VGRO-75 is a water saving choice. You won't need more than 75 gallons of drinking water a day.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Actually a whole house carbon block is not a good solution. We sell thousands of them and they are a poor solution at best. Service flow rates are key to getting acceptable organic chemical and chlorine/chloramine reduction. BB carbon blocks simply do not have adequate capacity for whole house applications. A cubic foot of carbon is typically rated for about 3 gpm per ft3... it s actually much more complex than that but this is a simple way to calculate carbon filtration for most applications.

1Wrench

Reaction score
If you are looking for Whole Home Systems, they cannot remove all the impurities and pathogens from the water since there would be a wide range of elements with different density and boiling point. It is not possible for 1 system to remove 100% of all these impurities. If drinking water is your 1st priority, you can try point of use systems that specialize in drinking water. This site has some information on different systems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks