Looking for a new 46" shower insert

Users who are viewing this thread

georgepavliscak

Reaction score
Anyone have a supplier for a 46" wide shower. This is the actual unit size, I dont know the Rough opening size, as I do not want to remove this shower until I have a replacement in hand. I assume its probbably 47" with 1/2" dryway behind it. All the ones I have found are 47&3/4"-48" and I do not want to reframe any walls if I can help it.

Thanks alot
george

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are talking about a one piece fibreglas shower unit, it is almost surely 48". These units fit right to the stud walls. There is no drywall "behind" them. Measuring about 46" from inside wall to inside wall would be about the right measurement for a 48" unit.

48 is pretty much one of the standard sizes . Others are 36, 54, and 60. I do not remember ever seeing a "46" so I really think you have a 48.

Now, are you sure you can get a new one piece 48" into the room and into position? I doubt it. These are literally installed before the walls go up. What you will need is referred to as a "remodel" unit, and it will be two or three pieces.

As far as a door, I don't know what you have now, but most codes not longer allow a bypass sliding door on 48" width. Too narrow opening. You will need a pivot door with fixed panel. These are readily available to fit your 46" opening.

georgepavliscak

Reaction score
Shower Wackiness

Owens Corning apparently made a 46" wide for some time and that is what this unit is. I know many are tiling the opening rather than reframe. I do not mind reframing, but I would really like to keep what I have go here.

There is 2" difference between current standard 48" shower and this unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks