Locking Up

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by seansy59, Feb 19, 2013.

1. seansy59

seansy59 New Member

So, I have a basic 20 amp circuit running to my shed that I put in about 1 year ago. It runs a few floodlights, indoor lights, rope lighting, fans, audio rack for outdoor speakers, little intex pump, and various items. For the indoor/outdoor lighting and fans, I have a bank of basic light switches (total of 6 switches). Basic covers and boxes like these.
    http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...k-95589970.jpg

I've been having a lot of neighborhood parties, maybe about 8 a year, and with parties, come the neighbors and the kids (about 15 of them). Well, beside for locking the shed itself (since I have games and a couch in there), I can't keep people and the kids from playing with the switches. Either messing up the outlet that the projector plugs into for movies, cycling the pool pump, or shutting off the lights as a joke.

I need some sort of locking cover or solution for the switches. Would it be okay to install a locking sub panel just so I can keep lock up the breakers and have them "not messed with"? Would I need a ground rod even for just a 20 amp circuit feeding it?
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

There are little plastic individual toggle switch locks that you install using the cover plate screws, cheap and quick. I've also seen large lockable transparent
    switch plate covers in some commercial settings. Search the 'net for "toggle switch lock" and I'm sure you'll find something appropriate. I have no idea
    what a ground rod has to do with any of this.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF it is a "real" problem change the switches to "locking" type , such as Grainger's #5Z724, that use a removable handle/keyto operate the switch.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

From the sounds of it, you need to hire "rent-a-cop" security for your parties!
  5. seansy59

seansy59 New Member

I need something "not permanent" and the switches still need to be accessible. I was hoping for something lie a large locking cover so I can access them with a key if needed. I was asking about a ground rod because I know it is required if you install a panel in an outbuilding....I don't know if it matter though if it's just a 20 amp single circuit still feeding the building

That's gonna get awfully expensive at $35 each.......especially since I need 6 :O

Ya know! I've been thinkin' about it.......I have one of my neighbors watch the kids, but it doesn't seem to help. I can't find out why the switches seems so exciting to a various amount of 3-7 year olds........... :D

So, I stopped at Home depot and asked about covers, and ended up walking out with a breaker panel with a locking cover, and picked up a separate ground bar kit with some breakers. I installed it, wired up the 6 breakers, put a lock on it, and we are gold. I can't even open it myself without the key.
  6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades

A rent-a-cop could get shot at the party.

Better guest would be a better fix.

Sounds like a daycare and no place for kids to be.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013