Life expectancy of a bladder tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Bob999, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Bob999

Bob999 In the Trades

What is the life expectancy of a bladder tank and what are the typical causes of failure? Is there is significant difference in life expectance between steel and composite tanks?
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

seen some better than 20 years old and still going, seen some go in 2 years.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I've seen Gould's and Well-X-Trol last 20-25 yrs. The primary cause of failure is incorrect air pressure.

Composite/plastic will usually last much longer but their bladder (bag) is not as 'robust' IMO.
  4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  5. Stacystark

Stacystark New Member

I can only say that mine, which was installed in 1978 still works. It had a problem last year where water got outside the bladder in the tank, but my plumber was able to drain and fix it. He did say it may have damaged the pump.
    Seems he might be right, as now the pump is sounding a bit different when it kicks on. The pump, a 1/2 HP,was installed with the tank, also in 1978, so it's lasted a long time.
    Which is why I joined this Group. I am looking to educate myself on the mechanics of (relatively)shallow, non-submersible pump motors.
    Stacystark
  6. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

How deep is your well. . .?