LED Lamp for Can light housings

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Who is the manufacturer, and what is the model name/number of those $15 PAR38s?

PAR type photometrics are pretty easy to hit with LEDs, since the LED dice are inherently anisotropic in output. For light pattern/beam spread it's better to them to a 60W PAR38 halogen, which is an output simply not achievable with CFL technology, which is better suited to flood-lamp type applications. Getting wider spread flood-lamp type output with LEDs is more difficult to achieve without losing efficiency to the diffusers, but several vendors have decent LED floods out there that are still north of 50lumens/watt (typical CFL-flood efficiency.)

Costco has had similar deals on the ~12W CREE LR6 (R30 flood with integrated trim). The big orange box store seems to stock the ~10W CREE CR6 (very similar to the LR6, but slightly lower power & luminosity) for ~$25 regularly in my neighborhood, and they look great, dim nicely.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Dana, These have the FEIT label on them and the LEDs are by CREE. and yes, they are dimmable, and do dim vey niceley, as good as incandescants in fact with the Lutron dimmer I installed months ago, which is intended for dimmable CFLs and LEDS.

The FEIT packaging calls them PAR30 Floods, and they are also currently selling the same brand's PAR38 LED Floods for a few bucks more each.

Did you want to know the UPC codes for both?

The local power company's instant $15 rebate makes them a lot easier to decide on buying them or not

These are regular edison base screw in bulbs, and have no built in trim like the units I bought as HD last year

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
LED bulb is in a refrigerator.

Every other one I have owned couldn't cut the mustard and failed prematurely. They just don't like warmth or heat.

-------------------------
led strip

Flexible LED Strip Lights

Outdoor LED Lighting

I think most of the traffic lights I see lately in my county are all LED lamped, and they don't seem to be getting serviced more than usual. . Yes, my Fridge has LED lighting in it. I believe LEDs will become the standard in the future once manufacturing costs are much lower.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I think most of the traffic lights I see lately in my county are all LED lamped, and they don't seem to be getting serviced more than usual. . Yes, my Fridge has LED lighting in it. I believe LEDs will become the standard in the future once manufacturing costs are much lower.

I want one for the Fridge , do you have a recommendation ?

Most of the traffic lights that are LED around here have many dead segments in them. Some even Wink at you.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Most of the traffic lights that are LED around here have many dead segments in them. Some even Wink at you.
first time I heard of a fresh trffic light! I was at Lowes yesterday and saw that they even carry the little 12 volt reflector floods (MR16?) with 2 pins. I've also saw the same looking little 2 pin LED reflector floods for 115V. might be some smoke and fir mixin' em up though by mistake. I could not believe it when I saw the 2 of them right near eeach other. More and more, LOTS more and more LED bulbs being sold now. If only they hold up.

My Fridge is a Kenmore Elite made by LG that Sears gave me to Replace the Kenmore Elite made by Whirlpool they could not fix because it had a poorly designed program built into it that would create a mold build up in the ice dispenser trap door. The New one is 2 years old now with no problems at all and the original was 9 months old when they gave up trying to fix it. I even made a video for them showing the malfunction that happened every 23 hours and 55 minutes, like clockwork, pardon the pun. They spent a fortune in parts trying to fix it by repacing parts that were not defective, but were controlled by the programmed chip on the main board. Lots of people have reported problems with LG fridges, but ours is great.

Reaction score
My Fridge is a Kenmore Elite made by LG that Sears gave me to Replace the Kenmore Elite made by Whirlpool they could not fix because it had a poorly designed program built into it that would create a mold build up in the ice dispenser trap door. The New one is 2 years old now with no problems at all and the original was 9 months old when they gave up trying to fix it. I even made a video for them showing the malfunction that happened every 23 hours and 55 minutes, like clockwork, pardon the pun. They spent a fortune in parts trying to fix it by repacing parts that were not defective, but were controlled by the programmed chip on the main board. Lots of people have reported problems with LG fridges, but ours is great.

I've had an LG bottom freezer fridge for over 3 years and it has been superb, best refrigerator I've ever owned or used--has the "Titanium" finish which I highly recommend. Replaced a 14 year old side-by-side Amana that was still running well, but the Amana had a poor layout and didn't match the kitchen (came with house but they had done some updating.) Side-by-sides are a poor concept because of the high L/D ratio and resulting large thermal gradient. Shelves serve as baffles restricting air circulation, not good. The side-by-sides are way too cold on the bottom and way too hot on the top...plus it is hard to find things on the poorly lit lower shelves. Things spoil on top and freeze on the bottom. I used the old one for about 9 months before deciding it was time to upgrade. Sold it to a neighbor for about $175 if memory serves.

Before that I had an Amana top freezer that I moved across states and four homes (heavy SOB). It had some problems in the freezer pan drain layout that were never fully resolved despite warranty work. It was very picky about setting fridge temp, else it would freeze the freezer's drain pan and drip water all over the fridge contents below. I had to re-adjust it each season...it had me trained. By the time it was 16 years old it seemed to have lost some of its refrigerant charge and got to be a real PITA about freezing the coil every 3 months or so. Still I was able to sell it for $75 to a shop before I moved...it was running cold and looked spotless at the time.

I'll have to explore LED's for the fridge some time. The incandescents there now introduce a lot of heat in the top when stocking the fridge. CFL's couldn't handle the cold--they start up too dim in such a cold service to be useful. I expected as much, but gave it a try.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score

Dead segments are more likely to occur in places that regularly see 100F+ ambient air temperatures, in fixtures that are not well designed for shedding heat. A traffic light is pretty rugged service. But it's also a very high duty-cycle service.

The power savings in traffic lights are HUGE, since with filters the lumens/watt of incandescent traffic lights is under 5, whereas using the unfiltered inherent LED colors the efficiencies are on the order of 20x better. And even with heat related failure, the replacement rate is a tiny fraction of incandescent technology traffic lights, and quite cost-effective on labor and bucket-lift hours time alone.

A bigger issue than hot-climate failure rates is in cold/very-cold snowy places where the LED traffic lights don't generate sufficient heat to be inherently self-defrosting.

traffic-lights-led.jpg

DonL

Reaction score

Nice picture.

Around here they shut the place down if the weather is like that.

That kind of weather is one reason I moved away from Indiana.

I do miss doing donuts in the school parking lot.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Nice picture.

Around here they shut the place down if the weather is like that.

That kind of weather is one reason I moved away from Indiana.

I do miss doing donuts in the school parking lot.
Indiana is that place that looks like a sheet of brown cardboard when you fly over it at 33,000 feet, right? hehe

DonL

Reaction score
Indiana is that place that looks like a sheet of brown cardboard when you fly over it at 33,000 feet, right? hehe

Not sure, but the Corn Fields are all in a row during the spring.

The girls are in a bunch and look better 33,000 feet away, I guess a bunch of Heifers would look like brown cardboard, now that you mention it.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but the Corn Fields are all in a row during the spring.

The girls are in a bunch and look better 33,000 feet away, I guess a bunch of Heifers would look like brown cardboard, now that you mention it.
Now THAT Don, I am not going to touch!

TJanak

Reaction score
Is there a high quality LED lamp for recessed cans available in 3000K? I'm thinking I would prefer this for the kitchen area. If there's even a noticeable difference between 2700 and 3000K.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
there is a very noticeable difference between 2700k and 3k. CREE makes nice lights. i have the 2700k cheaper version you can buy from home depot, and if you want the 3k version, it will cost you some bucks. they are some nice lights though. here's a few shots of my lights, which give off a real nice light. picture is of unfinished, remodeled kitchen area. lighting on cabinets is very warm, not overly bright at all. if i had the same lights in the 3k version, i don't think i would like it. to me, it would look more institutional. i tried some 3k lights from a different manufacturer, and that's when i started looking at cree lights. the 2nd picture was taken at 9pm with a crappy camera phone, which doesn't do justice at all for the lights. looks real nice in person.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 620
  • finished cabs 2.jpg
    finished cabs 2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:

TJanak

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Chad. Looks like Cree's downlights are either 2700K or 3500K. In that case, I'll stick with the Home Depot 2700K Cree model. Their website shows them at $39.97 each for my store. I don't think there's any utility rebates offered here either.

I would like to use the Lutron Toggler/Ariadni C-L dimmer which is made for CFL's and LED's HERE. Lutron lists the CR6 as compatible with their dimmer HERE but Cree does not list the Lutron Toggler/Ariadni as compatible with their lamp HERE. No big deal, I'm going to try it, but just interesting.

What does concern me is Cree says this on their site: In situations where there are multiple dimming circuits sharing the same breaker feed, ELV (Electronic Low Voltage) dimmers should be used. What is an ELV dimmer? I can't find if the Lutron Toggler/Ariadni qualifies.

Edit: This shit is too complicated and makes me want to use incandescents :mad:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
that means if you have one circuit feeding two separately switched banks of lights you shouldn't use that style dimmer. like if you have your kitchen lights on the same circuit as your living room lights, and you tried to dim both sets of lights, it may mess with the dimmers somehow. not really sure anout the ELV dimmer. i have heard of a magnetic low voltage dimmer, but not sure on either of them. i am going to use the leviton vizia+ dimmers on these. I am going to hook them up this week to the living room lights. i see no need to dim the kitchen lights, so no dimmers there. hope you figure it all out, these are some nice lights. I have gotten quite a few people asking about them already when they see them.

TJanak

Reaction score
Finally finished the lighting in the remodeled kitchen. Ended up using the Sylvania LED downlights I asked about in the previous post. We liked the 3000K color in the kitchen versus the 2700K. Really happy with the way it turned out, just hope the LED's last as long as their supposed to, at $50 each.

This picture was taken at night with my phone camera. Spacing on the lights is right at 48" between. Hard to tell but it's plenty of light.

20120722_215951.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks