Leaking Watts Backflow Preventer

Users who are viewing this thread

gopackgo

Reaction score
I have a Watts 919 backflow preventer on my irrigation system. It is leaking out the bottom through the relief valve. Most of the advice I have seen states that there is probably debris in either the 1st or 2nd check valve. I've taken both check valves apart - no debris and the rubber parts and seats are in very good condition. I also took apart the relief valve and again the rubber parts and seats look good, with the exception of the diaphragm. It is not cracked or broken but the material on one side (away from the valve seat) is "crumbling." Sorry, don't know how else to describe it and I am not familiar with how it should look. Could a bad diaphragm also cause the leaking? How about a weak spring in check valve #2? By design, check valve #1 has a much stronger spring than #2.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Backflow preventers should be certified each year by a licensed inspector. This is not a DIY job. Occasionally there will be minor repairs needed that the inspector can do on site. These are inexpensive by vital to assure the device is functioning properly. I think I have had mine repaired twice in 30 years. My city sends a reminder letter with a list of certified inspectors the homeowner can choose from each spring. If the inspection is not done and the inspection form is not received by the city, the entire water supply to the home will be shut off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks