Leaking shower head

Users who are viewing this thread

sluggo60

Reaction score
I've just installed a single handled Pegasus shower valve ( I know, I know...). When I turn it on water comes out of the shower head as well as the spout. Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix? Oh! the reason I replaced the whole thing is because the fixture I had before did the same thing.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I've just installed a single handled Pegasus shower valve ( I know, I know...). When I turn it on water comes out of the shower head as well as the spout. Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix? Oh! the reason I replaced the whole thing is because the fixture I had before did the same thing.

What kind of piping did you use between the spout and the shower valve? Also how far is the spout from the valve?

sluggo60

Reaction score
What kind of piping did you use between the spout and the shower valve? Also how far is the spout from the valve?

1/2 inch CPVC and the distance is 6 inches. I'm using the existing hole in the shower surround.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Where is the leak coming from¿ The catridge or where CPVC meets valve¿ Did you use teflon tape and or pipe dope¿

sluggo60

Reaction score
Is the smaller ID of the CPVC causing the problem? Should I replace with 1/2 inch PVC or galvanized pipe. Manufacturer's specs are 8 inch minimum space between valve and spout. Could that be the problem? Kingsotall, it's not a leak, just when I turn on the water it comes out of the shower head and the spout before I pull up the spout shut off (or whatever you call it). When I do that the shower works just fine, no leaks anywhere.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make the pipe between the valve and the spout copper, and your problem should go away. Don't even think about galvanized unless you like rusty bathwater.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Is the smaller ID of the CPVC causing the problem? Should I replace with 1/2 inch PVC or galvanized pipe. Manufacturer's specs are 8 inch minimum space between valve and spout. Could that be the problem? Kingsotall, it's not a leak, just when I turn on the water it comes out of the shower head and the spout before I pull up the spout shut off (or whatever you call it). When I do that the shower works just fine, no leaks anywhere.

CPVC is one problem, if the manufacturer states it needs to be 8" away from the valve that is trouble as well. Before making a new hole you can try to pipe it with galvanized real quick and see if it works proper, if not then you need to lower the extra 2" if you can.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Apparrently you did not read the fine print in the instructions where is said "copper only" for the drop to the spout, no CPVC and no PEX. Also, the length of the drop is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks