Leaking Expansion Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Jos1223

Reaction score
My thermal expansion tank for my water heater is leaking, as I see a rusted liquid just on the bottom of the tank. I'm getting it replaced for the first time, as I've had it since I bought my home almost 18 years ago. My water heater was is a few years old, but the expansion tank was never replaced. My question...is it dangerous to keep my water heater on (since my expansion tank is leaking) and wait until I get my plumber to fix it in a few days?

Thank you in advance-

Leaking Expansion Tank.jpg

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
The T&P valve on the water heater will release any pressure over 150 PSI. Most of the time your pressure is probably around 60 PSI and any more pressure comes from the heated water expanding.

Reach4

Reaction score
You or your plumber should check your T&P (temperature and pressure) relief valve periodically. When you lift the lever, water should come out. When you release the lever, water flow should stop.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm finding that often the expansion tanks don't last as long as the water heaters. And then I find that a previous plumber has changed out a water heater and left the expansion tank, assuming what? That they are a forever thing?
Anytime I change a water heater, the expansion tank gets replaced too. And I use brass fittings at the tank, not galvanized.

If you doing the change out in a few days, maybe put a bowl under it to catch dripping water.

Jos1223

Reaction score
I've gone ahead and hired a plumber to replace my ET, and also replaced my old regulator due to the high pressure. Thank you all for your responses. You all rock!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, an ET is probably one of the easier things to replace in plumbing...you will need a few things like an air pressure gauge, bicycle pump, some PTFE tape or pipe dope, and a few wrenches, but it's really quite simple. I have one neighbor that pays a handyman to replace light bulbs, so there are all sorts of people out there with various skills. Then, you need the time, which may be more valuable than paying a pro.