Leak in plumbing stack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
On the first floor (slab on grade) I discovered a leak at the bottom of the plumbing stack. I thought it was coming from around the bottom but now I think it's coming from higher up. Is there a tool that I could use to find out where the leak is coming from?

Over the years it has caused some damage to the drywall at the bottom.
stack.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
On the first floor (slab on grade) I discovered a leak at the bottom of the plumbing stack. I thought it was coming from around the bottom but now I think it's coming from higher up. Is there a tool that I could use to find out where the leak is coming from?
You can tie a strip of cloth around the pipe. If the cloth gets wet, the water is coming from higher up.

Maybe use multiple strips of cloth at different heights below the suspected areas.

Reaction score
It's coming from above the cutout area. I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary to remove all the drywall to find the leak. Is there any equipment I could use to find out?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
It's coming from above the cutout area. I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary to remove all the drywall to find the leak. Is there any equipment I could use to find out?
If the leak is coming from above what you have already cut out then in order to repair said leak you are going to have to remove more drywall to make a repair anyway.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"Is there a tool that I could use to find out where the leak is coming from?"

Yes it is called a camera and most plumbers have one on their work turks to look inside a wall

MKS

Reaction score
The easy way is a good plumber. Finding one can be difficult . Not cheap but there are reasons why. All else will be hard. Goop is a hand cleaner.
Generally there will be cutting, part replacement including gluing and or shielded couplers and drywall repair.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would scrape it down flat and put a piece of foil tape on it.

How in the world did he get those holes in the pipe without the screw skittering off the side?

Reach4

Reaction score
View attachment 46912 Found the problem. There are two holes in the pipe from cabinet screws. What is the best way to repair the pipe?
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/repairing-screw-hole-in-abs.18106/
There is a non-joking suggestion farther down.

In the following, I am presuming that is a 3 inch pipe.

The official way is to get two Fernco 3005-33 or Mission P-300 shielded couplings.

Cut out a section of pipe, leaving enough material at the top to fit the coupling to the rib. A cable saw can be used to do the cuts. Put in a matching section of pipe using the couplings. The section that you cut out could be the section that you put back in. Use dish soap as a lube for sliding the rubber.

The repair coupling segment glued into place, as described in the referenced thread, seems a lot easier.