Leak in copper drain pipe from toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

djay

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a back to back toilet setup with a copper drain line that is connected with a double Y connection to the main vertical drain line. I found that there is a leak along the horizonal pipe at the 90 degree elbow from the toilet A as it heads to the double Y connection. Upon the toilet A flush the leak starts with decent flow for about 20 seconds and then stops for about 30 seconds and starts again with a drip leak for another 45 seconds to a minute. In addition, when flushing the other toilet (toilet B) connected to the other part of the Y connector, it also causes a leak from the same pipe which is for toilet A. It starts with the same leak flow like toilet A, but then after 20 seconds it stops and does not start up again.

The water flow seems to be fine for both toilets in that there is no backup or slow water drain.

Does this mean I have some type of clog just below the double Y connection? Otherwise, I am not sure why it would continue to leak for so long. Also I am not sure how flushing toilet B would cause a leak in the drain pipe of toilet A. Or is just the power of the flush able to push water to the other side of the double Y?

If it is a clog - suggestions on how to unclog it. A toilet auger seems would be too short to reach it. I did try a regular drain snake, but it seemed to get to about that point of the double Y connection, but could not go in farther. I am not sure if it got stuck at the double Y connection point.

Also suggestions on how to fix the leak - could I use the jweld epoxy sealing compounds at the joint to seal it? Separating the copper pipes to redo the solder seems like it might be difficult.

Thanks for any help!

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have a double sanitary cross. Basically a double santee fitting. Not a double wye fitting. Water will skip over every time. Also the acid in the urine is eating away at the copper.

djay

Reaction score
thanks for the info!

So even though it continues to leak like a minute after the flush - you don't think it is clogged?

What would be the right fix for it? Would I need to separate and solder it or could I add a jb weld to it?

thx!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks