leach field end cap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by sciguy2902, Jul 26, 2009.

1. sciguy2902

sciguy2902 New Member

I have just finished building a leach field for my septic system. Should I cap the end pipe or should it remain open into the rock? Initially I thought it should be open so the effluent could escape if the perforated holes somehow clogged. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to cap the end to force the effluent to distribute out of the perforated pipe.

Also, I understand that I should put a fabric barrier on top of the rocks to keep dirt out. Can I use weed barrier cloth or is there some special material for leach fields? I read on one site that hay/straw could be used as an alternative but it seems like that would decompose over time and let the dirt in.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009