New Leach Field (1 week old) water above ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

ibmargie

Reaction score
My one week old leach field has water on ground by number 4 line (we had four installed). I watched this system be put in and all lines were level, the distribution box is level pulled top to check and water level in tank.
Going to do best I can describe what I think problem is. When the white pipe for number 4 came out of the distribution box and at some point connected to the black lines (4) for the septic field. The leak is at that joint where the pipe from the distribution box and leach field pipe meet. The connection was made at the top instead of at the side like 1,2 and 3. My thinking it came off when back filling. I can barely scape the ground with shovel to remove dirt and water seeps up. The further I go up the drain field to number three the further down I have to dig to see water. There are just the two of us here. I have not done laundry in a week nor have I showered but my husband does every night. No garbage disposal or dishwasher.
No perc test done on this field just a visual from inspector to see type of soil (sand,clay, rock). Perc test done seven years ago on old drain field which some lines collapsed and had water above ground on two lines at end of field. Do have valve to turn to switch between drain field or just take a little pressure off the new field if need be.
I have taken distribution top off and taken the #4 line in the box and turned it so no water goes in that line unless water level becomes very high - in short lines 1,2 and three are carrying the water now. Should I have done this and it has only been a couple days with hot weather and not seeing any difference.
I appreciate any help. My husband's health prevents him from helping in this matter.
Thank you
ibmargie

ibmargie

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say the #4 line was "taken off the top instead of the sides"?
What I mean is #4 line was not inserted into the black lines (1,2,3) at the side. Number 4 for some reason was place on top of the black drain field line. So am wondering when back fill was done if the dirt could have knocked it off and the water was coming out the white line and that was causing water above ground. What I see today (as I check area several times a day) the lowest water hole is completely emptied of water. The other two holes I have going towards number line still have water.
Hope I have answered your question.
We have had hot sunny weather all week with no rain.
Thank you for your reply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the line was placed "on top of the drain field" it would be too high for ANY water to flow into it, unless the other three were completely flooded. And if it was NOT attached, then anything could have "knocked it off" but that would be immaterial because it could not work any way. IF the "lowest hole" is empty of water, ANY higher lines should also be so something about the description is either inaccurate or your system was NOT installed properly.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
"I watched this system be put in and all lines were level"

If you have water coming out of the top of your tank, The tank is full.

You should check for a running toilet, Stuck fill valve maybe.

Normally Water comes from somewhere. The top of a tank is normally a clean out on the tanks we have here. When water come out, You have problems, The Tank is full of water.

Also the field lines Tank input and output lines are not normally level. You need some downhill slope, or water can not get out of the tank unless you have a pump.

Turds still flow down hill on earth. They float at 0 gravity, but not on earth.

Does your system use a pump or have a chlorinating tank ?

Good Luck. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Turds still flow down hill on earth. They float at 0 gravity, but not on earth.

IF they are "getting into the lines", then the tank is not installed properly. Only WATER is supposed to flow into the lines.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I admire you for trying to handle this yourself. Feel free to interact with the experts here back and forth, asking and answering questions, until you feel you have an understanding of what is wrong so you can talk intelligently to your installer. I suspect that you don't have super communication with your installer, because you came here before calling them. Maybe I'm wrong, but the guy that put our new system in a couple of years ago was top of the line both in quality of work and quality of communication. He gave us such a good sense of pride in his work that I know that if we had a problem even today he'd be back the next morning with his crew (his sons) and do whatever needed to be done to make it right. Fortunately for us, we haven't had any issues.

And shoot us a couple of pictures if you can -- the experts can tell a lot from the symptoms and from the situation in the distribution box, as well as anyplace you think is significant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks