Lav draining well but.....

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by export!, Jan 24, 2010.

1. export!

export! DIY Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks to some great info from this site I've completed a basement bath remodel. I was excited to stress-test all my spiffy new plumbing. The toilet flushes like a mother and shower seems awesome.

The lav surprised me. I was expecting whirlpools and sucking sounds and all that good stuff. The Moen faucet does *barely* gain ground on the drain. There is an overflow so I'm not really concerned - more surprised.

Is this style of strainer the culprit? It was a nice, heavy brass/chromed piece - seemed very nice quality.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

Oct 5, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah, a grid strainer can drain a little slower than a standard pop-up plunger.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    That strainer combined with the faucet's stream hitting right on or near it is guaranteed to drain slow.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016