Lake pump pressure relief valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Trailrider

Reaction score
Hello folk's, would anyone happen to know if a pressure relief valve is available that is designed with a stainless steel spring and will last underwater?
I am wanting to add a pressure relief valve at my submersible pump installed in a lake. I have had my water pipe blow off the pump in the middle of the winter due to a frozen line and want to prevent it from happening again.
I have asked at my local plumbing suppliers and they are not aware of such a product.

Does the industry make such a product? If not, is there an alternative way to provide pressure relief at the pump without running a separate pipe?

Update....After checking my notes, I do have a pressure relief valve that was sold to me with a stainless steel spring meant for underwater. However a magnet is still attracted to the spring??? I compared it to a relief valve that I know has a standard steel spring and the magnet sticks to it much more aggressively. Is it possible for a magnet to be attracted to some grades of stainless steel?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes there are several grades of SS that will stick to a magnet. Here are a couple more ideas for you.

You could use a Cycle Sensor and shut the pump off at deadhead amperage.

Or you could put a short nipple between the pump and a check valve. Then drill a small 1/8" hole in the side of that nipple. That way when the pump is running a little water will always squirt out the side of that nipple. This would prevent the pump from overheating if the discharge pipe freezes up. But would not leak when the pump is off because the hole is prior to the check valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks