Korky fill valve problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Korky GMax fill valve on my Dartmouth toilet. Recently it began acting oddly. It seemed to fill OK, but when the fill stopped, it would spurt a couple of quick times. The last few days, the spurting has increased to 4 or 5. Everything still functions just fine. I assume that I need to clean the innards, but am unsure just how to do it. The only ID I can see is G Max 526.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This looks great! Before I get a new cap, I'll try just cleaning things up inside. If that doesn't do it, I'll go the HD and get the new cap. Thanks for the advice and video.

korky-528-cap-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes!
Repair completed successfully! You were right on target about the cap being a fault. I went ahead and disassemble the whole unit and washed the parts off. Then I ran into a minor problem. Seems HD, Lowes, and a large plumber supply house do not stock just a cap. I ended up going to an Ace Hardware and had the same result. Ace did have a complete valve for $12, so I disassembled it and made sure the caps were identical. They were, so I bought the whole unit. Probably even if I had found a cap, it would have cost half of the cost of the whole valve. At any rate, put everything back together and it works perfectly. The video was helpful.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Lowe's doesn't carry the cap. That's why I gave the link right there above to the HD web site, which will tell you which HD stores in your area have the cap (if you put in your zip code) and exactly where it is placed in the store. It is pretty-widely stocked at HD and it's also available for delivery by mail.

One pointer: HD doesn't always stock these right next to the valves they fit in. In the Manhattan one, it is in a totally-non-obvious place, and not even exactly in the aisle referenced on the web site. And the Aprons are useless in helping you find it.

korky-r528-cap-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just checked out the HD link and found there are 20 of these in stock at 3 different HDs in my town.

I think wjcandee's comments about finding things at HD is spot on. I noted at one of my local stores that they had 4 different places with small engine parts and supplies (like oil). Only one of them had what I was looking for (Sea Foam).

Had I not stumbled on the right place at the right aisle, I would have assumed that the oils and lubes on any of the other 3 sites was all they had, and they didn't stock Sea Foam. Seems to me they might want to keep like things together.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just checked out the HD link and found there are 20 of these in stock at 3 different HDs in my town.

I think wjcandee's comments about finding things at HD is spot on. I noted at one of my local stores that they had 4 different places with small engine parts and supplies (like oil). Only one of them had what I was looking for (Sea Foam).

Had I not stumbled on the right place at the right aisle, I would have assumed that the oils and lubes on any of the other 3 sites was all they had, and they didn't stock Sea Foam. Seems to me they might want to keep like things together.

Perhaps it is just my local HD, but Smock Man told me they did not have just replacement caps, just the complete valve. I did not go to the shelves to inspect myself, but the counter man at the plumbing supply said they did not have caps. Now, when I needed a new flapper, HD had all the Toto toilet flappers on the shelves.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wish more stores had websites that would identify aisle and bin for items.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have a rule about the Aprons. If they say they have it and bring me to it, I say, "Thank you," take it and go pay for it.

If they tell me they don't have it, I say, "Thank you," then go find it myself, take it and go pay for it.

The latter happens a lot more often than the former.

The bottom line is this for Korky products:

Lowe's and HD each have a decent selection of Korky flappers, but they vary between the two. Lowe's has a wider variety, while HD focuses more on the universal ones. HD also carries the Red "Fits Toto" 3" flapper that works on most GMax toilets and some EMax (I did a thread on the ones it fits), but it's available online more than in the stores.

EDIT: HD now carries the 528MP Maxperformance fill valve, both online and in some stores. Check the web site to see if it's in your local store. HD for some reason calls it the "528MCM" in its computer. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423

Lowe's has for a long time carried the 528MP Maxperforamce fill valve that Terry recommends so frequently.
(Lowe's calls it 528MPK if you want to search on their web site.)

Lowe's no longer carries the R528 replacement cap, but almost all HDs do, and HD will sell it online as well.

Lowe's carries the Korky Wax Free Gasket that replaces the wax ring in a toilet installation.

Lowe's carries the Korky replacement seals for Aquasource flush valves.

HD carries the MaxPerformance toilet plunger. We have a couple at home (for our older toilets), and they have a nice lip on them that really gets into the trapway. However, the rubber is thick and high-quality, so it resists pressure more than others. You have to be strong to use it best. Clorox used to make a nice plunger with a nifty holder; I use that one in the city. It doesn't have as good a lip as the Korky, but it's easier to push on.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a rule about the Aprons. If they say they have it and bring me to it, I say, "Thank you," take it and go pay for it.

If they tell me they don't have it, I say, "Thank you," then go find it myself, take it and go pay for it.

The latter happens a lot more often than the former.

The bottom line is this for Korky products:

Lowe's and HD each have a decent selection of Korky flappers, but they vary between the two. Lowe's has a wider variety, while HD focuses more on the universal ones. HD also carries the Red "Fits Toto" 3" flapper that works on most GMax toilets and some EMax (I did a thread on the ones it fits), but it's available online more than in the stores.

EDIT: HD now carries the 528MP Maxperformance fill valve, both online and in some stores. Check the web site to see if it's in your local store. HD for some reason calls it the "528MCM" in its computer. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423

Lowe's has for a long time carried the 528MP Maxperforamce fill valve that Terry recommends so frequently. http://www.lowes.com/pd_336988-868-528MPK_0__?Ntt=528mpk&UserSearch=528mpk&productId=3284948&rpp=32
(Lowe's calls it 528MPK if you want to search on their web site.)

Lowe's no longer carries the R528 replacement cap, but almost all HDs do, and HD will sell it online as well.

Lowe's carries the Korky Wax Free Gasket that replaces the wax ring in a toilet installation.

Lowe's carries the Korky replacement seals for Aquasource flush valves.

HD carries the MaxPerformance toilet plunger. We have a couple at home (for our older toilets), and they have a nice lip on them that really gets into the trapway. However, the rubber is thick and high-quality, so it resists pressure more than others. You have to be strong to use it best. Clorox used to make a nice plunger with a nifty holder; I use that one in the city. It doesn't have as good a lip as the Korky, but it's easier to push on.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW. This afternoon I had occasion to visit my local Home Depot and on a whim, I personally went to the plumbing section to check on the Korky fill valve cap. Guess what! There were several of them right in plain view. Guess that should teach me a lesson on never believe Smock man.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks