Kohler Wellworth Not flushing properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Toinshe

Reaction score
I have a kohler wellworth, its from 1997, it will not flush, the flapper will open and it will make noise but the water just sits there, should i just replace it? The siphon jet is not clogged.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many toilet manufacturers tried to adapt their old designs to meet the then new low flow mandate. The results were terrible and gave the low flow concept a bad rap. Kohler was one of these manufactures. You couldn't fix them then and you can't fix them now. Get new Toto and you're done. After I posted this, I realized this is the same OP that posted yesterday that they had just installed a new Toto. What gives?

JohnPeter

Reaction score
I installed 3 Kohler Wellworth tank-type toilets in my California home in about 2000. 1.6 gpf. Now California requires 1.28gpf but I was able to buy a replacement tank that allows 1.6 gpf. Thank goodness. And it was the easiest toilet repair I ever did; everything was ready to go, for less than $100. No assembly necessary of parts internal to the new tank. It fit my old bowl perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnPeter

Reaction score
Oh, I just read your post again and have some valuable advice. I had this problem, and solved it. You could have salt clogging the jets beneath the rim. Back ream them with fencing wire. And there is a big jet at the bottom of the bowl that cakes up. That jet accelerates flush water into the siphon and if it's plugged (salted up) the toilet just fails to flush, with water in bowl slowly descending after flush attempt. You'd think there was something blocking the siphon; I've had that problem too, which required removal of bowl and inversion to dislodge obstacle.
Use a small pry bar, i.e., the right-angled head thereof, to break salt deposit from aforementioned big jet. I know you said "siphon jet not clogged" but I'm skeptical. How do you KNOW it's not clogged?

Meanwhile, if the tank won't empty, then you've got an obstruction in the bowl internals, up high. Right?

Reach4

Reaction score
JohnPeter, if you get deposits clogging toilet passages after a time, you could benefit a water softener. Not getting insoluble deposits is just one of the benefits.