Kohler toilet Clogging every day

Users who are viewing this thread

Toinshe

Reaction score
Hi.. We just recently purchased a house built in 1997. It has 4 bathrooms. The half bath has a Kohler Memoirs that's clogs occasionally. And in the other bathrooms we have Kohler Wellworths that clog constantly, and they will overflow too. The date on the tank says '97 so they are all original. Can I improve the preformance? Or should I buy new toilets? If I choose to buy new toilets what brand? Kohler matches the style but not sure about the preformance. I've heard toto is good. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are a few things that affect the operation of a toilet, not counting a quality design where if bad, nothing will help!
- the water level in both the tank and the bowl must be the proper, design spec
- the flapper valve must be the right design so it releases the design amount of water
- the siphon jet and rim bowl wash holes can't be partially blocked because of mineral deposits
- there can't be anything caught in the trapway - you'd be surprised what even a small hair pin can do to clogging things!
- there can't be excessive wax or a plastic horn blocking the outlet of the toilet
- there can't be standing water in the drain pipe

If you can identify what thing(s) are not correct, then a fix could be identified. Some of the designs are just plain dogs. I don't personally know how that one stacks up.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I had a Memoirs. One of my happiest days in the house is when I finally hit it with a sledgehammer and replaced it with a Toto Drake. The Memoirs was an expensive addition that we bought to match the nice pedestal sink. It had trouble flushing anything more than a single sheet of toilet paper. Hideous. Awful. Kohler should have been ashamed of itself for putting that turd on the market. They knew how badly it flushed, and sold it anyway.

The Drake (just a simple Original Drake, CST744S) doesn't match the pedestal sink, but who cares? It looks nice, and flushes beautifully. Every time I use it I ask myself why I waited so long to replace an obviously-awful toilet. Just didn't know any better. Now that I do, I replaced two other toilets in the house with Totos, and am glad I did!!!

Today, the entry-level Entrada toilet by Toto is a best-buy. Flushes great, well-made, looks nice. They still sell the Original Drake, now CST744E, and it still flushes great. The Drake also has an alternative tank that's a little schwankier than the more-modern one we have (and which I would still pick for our decor). There are other Totos for a hundred or two more that are excellent as well. I would pick the price/appearance combination that you like the best, because all work wonderfully.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many early low flow toilets had problems with their flush. Even the "big names" like Kohler and American Standard. The problem was mostly trying to meet the new standards of low water usage by using the old designs. Toto met the challenge early on and became a leader by designing toilets that worked well. The "big names" have caught up, but Toto still is a leader.

Toinshe

Reaction score
I just pulled the memoirs and replaced it with a Toto Promenade, it's incredible! Works amazing. Now time to replace the other wellworths...

cst424-01.jpg

TOTO Promenade

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I just pulled the memoirs and replaced it with a Toto Promenade, it's incredible! Works amazing. Now time to replace the other wellworths...

Fantastic!! Welcome to the converted. I'm so glad you put the Memoirs out of its (and your) misery, and that you're happy with the result!! The Promenade is an excellent fixture -- looks fabulous and performs superbly (as you now know).

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Kind of fun to finally get fixtures that work!

Check out the Totos that use the "double cyclone" flush. I have 3 of these (2 diff models) and to me this is a great technology.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks