KOHLER Double Handle Lav. set QUESTION

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by fatdaddy, Feb 2, 2014.

1. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

I have a K-14406-3
    http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1106616_5.pdf

Situation: The plumber who installed did it backwards so that the cold (on the right) opens clockwise and shuts counterclockwise. The hot
    on the left opens counter clockwise and closes clockwise.
    It was no big deal to me when I found out and everyone got used to it.

Question: The cold is VERY hard to turn now...almost to the point of non-functional. I took the handle apart and tried WD-40 and another lubricant. No good. IF THE STEM EXTENSION if the cause, do I replace it from above or do I have to work from below? I think the part I am looking at is (it is the old part) GP77005 and GP77006. The escutcheon (1009746) makes the use of a wrench impossible so if I work from the top I assume I would use a deep socket. Underneath is doable but VERY tight.

Nothing on the inside looks stripped or worn, thus my assumption that the stem is the problem.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
    Alan
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You repair it from the TOP of the sink.
    1. If your description of the handle operation is correct that is how the faucet is SUPPOSED to work with you pulling the handles toward you to open them and pushing them away to shut off. BUT,
    2. if you really want to reverse them, you need to remove the two stems and interchange them, then
    3. Call 1-800-4KOHLER and have them send you a new stem, which now will probably be the hot one, but in any case tell them whether it closes clockwise or counter/anti clockwise.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

Kohler came through and will send correct R/L stems. New issue...
    Working from above to take out the old stem (5/8" deep socket) the assembly below began to turn.
    I have taken the whole assembly out (valve body) and the stem just won't come out. No real corrosion but I applied CLR and Kroil. The stem does not budge!!
    My back-up is to replace the whole valve body but it is very frustrating, to say the least.
    Any thoughts?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Bigger, or better, wrenches. They ALWAYS come apart with the application of enough force. Otherwise call Kohler again. for new bodies.