kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

gb

Reaction score
I recently found this site as I was doing some research on toilets. Thanks to terrylove.com I'm picking up some toto drakes in the next few days. This site is awesome!

Right now I'm currently looking for a new undermount sink. We're going to have Corain countertops. My wife doesn't like cast iron or stainless steel.

We could go with the Corian seamless sink. But I want to see if there's something less expensive.

Ideally we would like a steel sink coated in porcelin. I've heard bad things about Americast. Are they my only option?

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Personally, I never liked Corian sinks. The +++ are that you can get it color coordinated, and no matter what you do to it, it can be buffed out. The ---- to me are that corian is not a shiny finish. It is more of a satin. I find the sinks hard to keep clean. You can stain it with cofee or strawberries, etc. True you can scrub or buff it out. I just don't like it.

Porcelain enamel on steel is the traditional "builder's" sink. It is nice an shiny, and can be maintained for a long time. But the steel sinks can easily be chipped. Cast iron is more durable.

Americast is a molded resin, with a pressed steel liner and then the porcelain. They have proved to be quite good. Seem to emulate the best features of cast iron without the weight. Price is a little lower than a top quality cast iron.

Acrylic-finish sinks are quite popular now, but that finish is much less durable and more easily damaged than the porcelain finishes.

Prashster

Reaction score
My mother has had a Corian sink for 15 years without issue. I like that it's 'seamless'. It's ivory and it stays looking very clean. The matte finish hides scratches very well. I gotta say it still looks brand new.
She eats a lot of strawberries too!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

The only porcelain steel sink I would even consider would be Americast. The rest are junk and you would not want to use them for an installation that is basically "forever", since they will only last a few years before starting to deteriorate. Cast iron or stainless steel should be your choices for a separate sink. Do not go the economy route because for all practical purposes you are stuck with the sink for the life of the countertops.

OldHouse

Reaction score
FWIW, having put an Americast sink in my last house and using it for 2.5 years prior to moving... I will never put another one in as a full time kitchen sink. As an occasionally used vegetable sink, etc it would be fine. You get black lines in it anytime you slide a pot or anything around in it. They all come right out with a buffing, but it was too much work. Porcelin/cast iron or heavy stainless area probably what I will do when I remodel this kitchen.
O.H.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks