kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I've installed a number of American Standard faucets. Basin faucets have a solid brass body, ceramic stems, and relatively solid handles. I don't mind using them and I've not been getting callbacks on the ones I've installed over the last 5+ years. I'm not as impressed with the kitchen faucets, but I'm not getting callbacks on those, either.

The thing I don't like about them is having to call American Standard for parts. You'll note that the store where you buy them doesn't carry parts for them. That means two trips for a plumber. And a lot of these faucets are a Chinese puzzle to anyone not used to working on faucets.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have had enough defective ones that I only install them customer supplied and I warn them about possible quality issues before going ahead. The last ones i did the customer had a kitchen faucet and a lav faucet to be installed the kitchen was okay but the lav faucet had a leak. Somewhere between the valve and the spout... Aerator was in tight... Oh well I warned them!

HIGHLAND

Reaction score
I haven't seen any negative comments about Moen faucets, so that would be a safe bet? Any others? Nowhere else that I'm aware of could I get this kind of information. Thanks.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I think I speak for 90% of plumbers when I say numero uno is Delta.
Just because they are so easy to service, and the parts are easily found.
Moen is a good name too for that reason.

Construct30

Reaction score
I think I speak for 90% of plumbers when I say numero uno is Delta.
Just because they are so easy to service, and the parts are easily found.
Moen is a good name too for that reason.

I like Delta for service and parts, I like moen, but have a hard time finding parts since they have the free replacements. Hardly anyone keeps or can find the parts list and so you can not order the part and no one here stocks them.

You should be required by law to stock parts for what you sell, that includes the AS toilets, you stupid box stores.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I like Delta because it looks like their engineers actually think about the installer.
Any money saved buying not-delta (price-fischer, american standard, no-name from china...) you lose in extra installation time.

In NYC where everyone wants a set price... so the plumber's extra time comes out of MY profit? I've learned to steer the clients towards Delta.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, just a homeowner and handyperson, and a Moen fan. A long time ago I had a problem with a Moen faucet that came with the house, and called Moen customer service. I didn't have high hopes, because it was a Saturday afternoon, but a) they answered the phone, b) were very friendly, c) diagnosed the problem, and d) had the new part on my doorstep on Tuesday, at no charge. I've bought only Moen ever since then and have been very happy.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The Moen cartridges last longer here than Delta parts do - hard water. The seals get stiff and wreck whatever they're rubbing against. It doesn't matter whether it's a Delta ball or a two-handle cartridge with the SS plate - it usually takes from two to five years to need a repair. But the repair is cheap.

Moen had a pretty good deal going on until they started designing the hardiness out of their faucets. Handles that break off, fall off, and so on, have become the new watchword. Their single faucets have a teensy screw and every time I see one of those faucets, I tighten the screw if it hasn't already bent. The Moen Posi-Temp had a metal bracket to mount the handle on - now it's plastic. I've had embarrassing moments with brand-new Moen faucets spraying water out the top, and now I hear that a lot of supply houses are no longer participating in the cartridge exchange program to plumbers.

Let's just say Moen is rubbing me the wrong way. I don't know if there's a "perfect" faucet out there, but I have yet to find it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks