Kerdi and RedGuard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jackie G

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new poster and am hoping I can get information regarding waterproofing a shower/tub remodel. I am going to use Hardi Backer and Redguard as a waterproofing membrane. Can I then use the Kerdi gaskets on the water pipe and valve protrusions when using the RedGuard? Is there a better way to waterproof those areas?

Regards,
Jackie

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is rare when those penetrations need special sealing issues. A shower head is so high, the eschution would likely block any issues. The valves typically have a gasket behind them, and if your tilework is decent, will prevent any moisture from doing anything. But, since Redgard is designed to enable thinset to bond to it, and the Kerdi fleece bonds with thinset, it should work.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I would not mix and match Kerdi and Red Guard. A better way would be to use just Kerdi or Just Red Guard. The mesh reinforcing for Red Guard sucks. It's much like Mapei's HPG.

A better approach would be to use Ardex 8+9 with SK Mesh. NobleSeal WallSeal, TS or CIS. With either of the four options listed you gain the added benefit of being able to work with any brand and type of setting material.

I dislike Red Guard and all liquid waterproofing products.

We did just use some on an outdoor tiled deck build. But not in the way you might think. I used it as temporary waterproofing protection of the framing. RedGuard and Kerdi are not designed as a primary waterproofing product for an exterior deck build.

Here is an action shot of the deck.

Using%2BRed%2BGuard%2Bfor%2BExterior%2BDeck%2BBuild%2Bover%2BLiving%2BSpace.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
If you must use Kerdi (I would not) then the only way it's allowed and still under warranty is if you use Ardex 8+9. You need to contact Ardex for the new warranty details.

Looks like this.

Screen+Shot+2014-05-12+at+8.01.17+AM.png

I used Kerdi here on this job for the sake of getting rid of old product. I dumped Schluter as a supplier months ago. Hope this helps.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
No - I don't think so.

And your are not suppose to use it as a wear surface.

When I built my Deck I used Hydro Ban for this step. I sent a picture to Henry saying the Hydro Ban is working perfect. He emailed me back saying that I was using his product wrong.....

I knew this of course. But the liquids do make great temporary protection.

I left my deck with the Hydro Ban all summer. All fall. All Winter. All Spring. All the next summer. The next fall and then in the winter finished the job. Because hoarding and heating the deck was more work and cost more money... LOL

When I screw down the second layer of plywood and bang on the cement board - that Red Guard will have a hundreds and hundreds of penetrations. It will no longer be waterproof. But when that happens the roof will be on the deck. The pony walls built and in place and I can then Hoard the deck off of the roof framing.

Hydro%2BBan%2BTemporary%2BDeck%2BProtection%2BExterior%2Bbuild.jpg

Tile%2BDeck%2Bover%2BLiving%2BSpace%2BVancouver.jpg

Pictures of my Exterior Deck being built. Doing the upper deck of the master and the ceiling beam work was some of the funniest stuff on my homes renovation.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks