Kerdi and RedGuard?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Jackie G, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Jackie G

Jackie G New Member

Hello, I am a new poster and am hoping I can get information regarding waterproofing a shower/tub remodel. I am going to use Hardi Backer and Redguard as a waterproofing membrane. Can I then use the Kerdi gaskets on the water pipe and valve protrusions when using the RedGuard? Is there a better way to waterproof those areas?

Regards,
    Jackie
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It is rare when those penetrations need special sealing issues. A shower head is so high, the eschution would likely block any issues. The valves typically have a gasket behind them, and if your tilework is decent, will prevent any moisture from doing anything. But, since Redgard is designed to enable thinset to bond to it, and the Kerdi fleece bonds with thinset, it should work.