Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 8, 2010
Release # 10-104 Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 696-7602
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Home Improvement Books Recalled by Oxmoor House Due to Faulty Wiring Instructions; Shock or Fire Hazard to Consumers
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following products. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Home Improvement Books

Units: About 951,000

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can they also recall those home improvement TV shows, which are making people think they can do any electrical project, without any learning whatsoever?

It used to be people would read a book on electrical wiring first. Learn how to make construction drawings to submit to the electrical inspector's office. And get an electrical permit. They would try to do everything just like an electrician would.

Now if you suggest they read a book on wiring or get an electrical permit, they get defensive and think you are personally attacking them!

I think it should be a requirement before showing any DIY wiring on TV, to show them applying for an electrical permit. And show the electrical inspector checking their work for safety. And emphasize you MUST get an electrical permit before doing electrical work.

The NEC has done a good job of making electrical wiring safe. These TV shows are going to reverse the trend...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have a few highly successful books out...
My next one will be on electrical work...

HOWTOPLUMB.jpg

radiantheatingguide.jpg

These are rapidly becoming the plumbing and radiant heating bibles for DIYers and Tradesmen alike.:rolleyes:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hot off the press...
Get your autographed copy now...

idiot-guide-electrical.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The DIY shows are mostly harmless. The ones I have been watching don't show you how to do anything, they just show you what you might be able to do.

So is no knowledge more dangerous than a little bit of knowledge, which we all know to be a dangerous thing?

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
How tasteless!

Everybody knows the old toilets in the front yard should be matching colors. Sheesh!

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the specifics of what is wrong in the books?

I am curious and never read one.

I am guessing it has to do with grounding issues and changes in the code over the years and the books were not updated.......

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
errors

THere could be many errors. I was talking to a printer friend once after they had made a couple of errors in a school yearbook. He told me that errata is a way of life in almost every book. He said they once printed a technical book and afterwards the author needed 30 PAGES to list the errors and omissions in it.

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Quote from one site with the story.

"On the one hand, the implications could be far-reaching," he said. "Home repair is one of those things that you can't learn out of a book. You need to be trained by an expert."

However, he noted, "the codes have changed a great deal, and the enforcement agencies know a lot more than they did 34, 35 years ago."Neither the Consumer Product Safety Commission nor Time would say precisely which wiring project, diagram or set of instructions is at issue."

Should state that Everyone has learned over the years new dangers not aware of in the past.

Cookie

Reaction score
In our drivers ed manual given out at the exam center I found a huge mistake regarding stopping for a redlight, (I think), it has been many years. I called the state and they recalled them. So you can find mistakes in any book. Hopefully, no one ever gets hurt.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
THere could be many errors. I was talking to a printer friend once after they had made a couple of errors in a school yearbook. He told me that errata is a way of life in almost every book. He said they once printed a technical book and afterwards the author needed 30 PAGES to list the errors and omissions in it.
And then there's the highly collectible "sinner's bible" from the 1400's I think. In The Commandments it reads "Thou shalt commit adultery" Oops.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks