Just a comment on Polybutylene

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I would like to comment on Polybutylene pipe in hopes some of the fitting manufacturers read this forum.

My house was built in 1992. This house, along with most other houses in the neighborhood were plumbed with PB. I have not had any leaks and I have not heard of anyone else in the area having leaks. All the fittings I have found in the pipe are metal. None are plastic.

The only true fitting I have found for PB is the adapter that converts PB to PEX. When I ask why there are no PB fittings I am told it is probably a liability issue. No one wants to get involved with PB. If that is the case, why make the conversion fitting? Doesn't make sense. They make valves with PEX stubs. How difficult would it be to make the same valve with a PB sized stub?

I have heard that there were hundreds of thousands of homes all over the country plumbed with PB. At some point every one of those houses will have a need for a new valve. The manufacturers are missing out on a huge market for PB fittings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The manufacturers of "fittings" are geared to new installations. The replacement market is so small compared to that, that it is not economically feasible to produce things which will sit on the shelf for years until someone needs one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks