OK to leave this PB?

Users who are viewing this thread

MisterJJ

Reaction score
This is what my current setup looks like in the basement:
20240210_104040.jpg

It's a 1996 home which appears to have had the original PB replaced with CPVC, except for this remaining PB at the inlet and some PEX elsewhere for a tankless water heater.

My plan is to remove the valves and CPVC in the picture and use PEX to go to a ball valve, then a pressure valve, then a whole-house filter, then another ball valve, then back to the CPVC.

So, should I leave that vertical piece of PB and just cut off the copper and go directly to PEX with a PB to PEX fitting? Seems like it would be difficult to get rid of that piece of PB.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Should you get rid of it? Yes. Will you? No. If your getting rid of that you'd need to get rid of the pb that is hooked to which means digging out your existing service and replacing it with material that isn't terrible.

I guess it depends how motivated you are. I'd probably leave it. Someone did a good job transitioning. You'll have to find a transition fitting. I would probably just go from cpvc to pex.

Reach4

Reaction score
That vertical plastic pipe adjacent to the PB pipe looks cocked in its top fitting. Illusion?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure I follow you but Id love to get rid of all the PB but little interest in getting rid of just that one piece. Id like to get rid of The CPVC depending on age as well 15 plus years old Id have more motivation than CPVC thats only 5 years old . Pick your battles

MisterJJ

Reaction score
You'll have to find a transition fitting. I would probably just go from cpvc to pex.
I thought about just cutting the CPVC. Then I would have PB->Copper->CPVC->PEX. That just seems... messy.
Should you get rid of it? Yes. Will you? No.
I think that's a good summary. All my search results basically said to panic and rip out PB as soon as possible, assuming the whole house had PB, so I wanted to get a clearer picture on how necessary it is to remove every last scrap.
That vertical plastic pipe adjacent to the PB pipe looks cocked in its top fitting. Illusion?
I checked and it's about 95% illusion. The camera angle and the clamp bending the pipe in that direction is making it look much worse than it is. I removed the clamp and it looks maybe just slightly off.
Id like to get rid of The CPVC depending on age as well 15 plus years old Id have more motivation than CPVC thats only 5 years old . Pick your battles
Well, I found dates on the CPVC ranging from 2011 to 2003. But I'm really not sure how much longer we will stay in the home. I have a Ring alarm and several flood sensors, with one of them directly below the area pictured.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont have a lot of experiance with cpvc but if you are opening walls id concider replacing if its open in a basement less concern

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks