Jetted Tub Installation Question

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by InsideOut, Jul 10, 2008.

1. InsideOut

InsideOut New Member

It is my understanding that most jetted tubs cannot be installed with a showerhead that is located above the tub. Is this a true statement and does anyone know where I can find the installation instructions to back up this claim? Thanks in advance.

Reis

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Not necessarily true. Most jetted tubs are available as drop-in without a tiling flange. Many of the manufacturers offer an add-on tiling flange. As long as you have one of these (one with a factory tiling flange is preferable), a shower is possible to produce that will be water-tight.

Now, considering the recommended monthly maintenance of a jetted tub, you may not want to use it daily for a shower...keeping it clean around the jets when used in that manner could be an issue, but doable.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

shower

That is not the case, but most jetted tubs are installed in a deck with a tile surround. In these installations a shower head will spray water outside the tub and that water will eventually end up on the floor somewhere.
  4. GregO

GregO New Member

air jet

This is where I'd recommend an airjet tub. We bought ours (bain ultra) and had a tiling flange installed and after daily showering, run the blower motor program to purge any water residue. Been working great for 6 years now.
  5. jadnashua

I put in a 6' Jason International air tub. Keep in mind that the interior dimmensions of a tub like this is shorter than you think with the sloped back. They need room for the motor and the plumbing. I truely would have been in heaven with a 7' tub, but there wasn't room where I wanted it to go; the 6' is good, a standard 5' tub in this type would have been horrible (I'm 6'2" or so, your results may vary?!).
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

grego

A bit confused. How does running the air motor remove water around the outside of the tub on the tile border?
  7. jadnashua

HJ, it doesn't, but does dry out the internal passages, unlike a whirlpool, the air tub turbine likes to run dry, as opposed to the pump. An air tub is much easier to keep sanitary verses the maintenance required on a whirlpool.

If the tile flange is installed, and the walls tiled as if it was a tub with a built-in tiling flange, done properly, it should work as a normal tile-in tub. The trick comes in how you handle the outside edge.
  8. GregO

GregO New Member

air jet

HJ, Jim beat me to it.

Ours is a drop-in design fitted with tiling flanges for the typical alcove installation - no water pools on the edges and the tub is fitted with a front skirt for plumbing/motor access.

Greg