Jet Pump Quit

Users who are viewing this thread

Tanninman

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a 3/4 HP Goulds Pump for my sprinkler system.
It was running today and just quit,feels very hot. This pump is only a few years old. Could it have over heated? Or is it dead? Any input would be apprieciated. Thanks Alot.

1960 Rancher

Reaction score
DId you check the circuit breaker? Does it still have power? Is it 120 or 240v? Are both phases there? If the power is there maybe let it cool down and see if it starts again. Personally if it ran so hot to burn up it should have over loaded the circuit breaker and tripped it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Motors get hot while running normal. You wouldn't want to hold your hand on one that is running normally in most cases. If it's hot enough to warp the label, that's a problem.

If it quit, the thermal overload may have tripped. Problem is, what made it trip? Low voltage, dirty connection, too small of wire, bad motor, something getting in the motor making it drag. Or several other things. Use the voltmeter while it's running if it comes back on. If you have access to an ampmeter, check the amps while it's pumping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks