Jet Pump Quit

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Tanninman, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Tanninman

Tanninman New Member

Hey Guys, I have a 3/4 HP Goulds Pump for my sprinkler system.
    It was running today and just quit,feels very hot. This pump is only a few years old. Could it have over heated? Or is it dead? Any input would be apprieciated. Thanks Alot.
  2. 1960 rancher

1960 rancher New Member

DId you check the circuit breaker? Does it still have power? Is it 120 or 240v? Are both phases there? If the power is there maybe let it cool down and see if it starts again. Personally if it ran so hot to burn up it should have over loaded the circuit breaker and tripped it.
  3. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Motors get hot while running normal. You wouldn't want to hold your hand on one that is running normally in most cases. If it's hot enough to warp the label, that's a problem.

If it quit, the thermal overload may have tripped. Problem is, what made it trip? Low voltage, dirty connection, too small of wire, bad motor, something getting in the motor making it drag. Or several other things. Use the voltmeter while it's running if it comes back on. If you have access to an ampmeter, check the amps while it's pumping.