jet pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

mr. farmer

Reaction score
I have a Goulds J5 twin pipe deep well jet pump. After the pump pressurizes my system to 60psi, the pressure slowly drops to about 30psi after about an hour. The pump turns on and repressurizes the system to 60psi and the cycle begins again. When I close the valve between the pump and my water tank, the pressure drops more quickly.

Is this a problem with my pump or is this typical behavior? Thanks.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
If no water is being run anywhere the pressure shouldn't drop . You have a leak somewhere . Which side of the valve you're closing is the pressure gague located on ? The pump side or the tank side ? I'm guessing the gague is on the pump side of the valve . When you close the valve you isolate the leak from the water & pressure in the tank . That would mean there would be less water & pressure on the pump side of the valve & it would leak off more quickly . It would be a fairly small leak to take an hour to lose 30 pounds pressure .

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have a suction line leak, probably the foot valve is bad. You will need to pull the well line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks