Jet Pump Problem -

Users who are viewing this thread

RogerPDX

Reaction score
I'm at a friends house in Mexico for a while. They have a pressure tank with an AquaPak Pet PET13 / 1127 Jet Pump 1.3 hp bolted to the top of the pressure tank. There is an Evans AB-TMSP Compact Pressure Switch attached to the jet pump. The jet pump sucks water up from a 60' hole in the ground (well).

Here's the problem, when running hose off a bib that this setup feeds, if the hose is open fully, it pumps like normal. If you hold your thumb over the end of the hose, restricting the flow, the pump bounces up and down on the pressure tank like a bucking bronco.

Can anybody please explain to me why this is happening and how to remedy it?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The tank needs to be properly pressurized or the bladder inside the tank has a leak. It happens with the hose because as you turn it off the hose nozzle, the hose expands slightly and the pressure switch shuts it down. But without any air in the tank to pressurize it, it immediately loses pressure below the low pressure setting and the pump turns on.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
The tank needs to be properly pressurized or the bladder inside the tank has a leak. It happens with the hose because as you turn it off the hose nozzle, the hose expands slightly and the pressure switch shuts it down. But without any air in the tank to pressurize it, it immediately loses pressure below the low pressure setting and the pump turns on.

So is the jet pump, pumping directly out of the well and by passing the pressure tank altogether?

How much pressure should be in that pressure tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
How much pressure should be in that pressure tank?
About 5 psi lower than the cut-in pressure. Air precharge is always measured or set with zero water pressure.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Reach4 - I forgot to ask, would the bladder tank have water in it, as it stands, if it had not been pressurized correctly prior to hooking it up to the pump? If it does have water in it, how do you get the water out of it (zero water pressure) so the repairman can pressurize the tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4 - I forgot to ask, would the bladder tank have water in it, as it stands, if it had not been pressurized correctly prior to hooking it up to the pump? If it does have water in it, how do you get the water out of it (zero water pressure) so the repairman can pressurize the tank?
Turn off the pump and open a faucet.

Note that the precharged pressure tanks can fail. It is not uncommon. The better tanks have a diaphragm instead of a bladder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks