JB WaterWeld to the rescue.

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
JB WaterWeld helped to save me from replacing my water tank again.

I know it is a half ass way to repair a water tank but the price of a new tank is scary.

Replacing it is going to be a PITA

My tank is old and gets pinhole leaks near the bottom, But can be fixed with WaterWeld for those.

The only problem is where the next pinhole leak will appear ?

I am just buying time. I do not think the new tanks will last as long as this one has.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I wish I had a picture of some of the old hydro pneumatic tanks I worked on 40 years ago. When they would get a pinhole the owners would whittle a little stick and drive in the hole. The water would swell the stick and seal the hole. I remember seeing tanks that looked like a porcupine they had so many little sticks sticking out of them. But it worked.

The main problem is the convex bottom of those tanks. When they get thin the pressure will pop the convex out into a concave shape and blow the bottom off the tank. Many times these tanks would go through the roof like a rocket. Just be careful of those old tanks as they can turn into a bomb.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I wish I had a picture of some of the old hydro pneumatic tanks I worked on 40 years ago. When they would get a pinhole the owners would whittle a little stick and drive in the hole. The water would swell the stick and seal the hole. I remember seeing tanks that looked like a porcupine they had so many little sticks sticking out of them. But it worked.

The main problem is the convex bottom of those tanks. When they get thin the pressure will pop the convex out into a concave shape and blow the bottom off the tank. Many times these tanks would go through the roof like a rocket. Just be careful of those old tanks as they can turn into a bomb.

That is cool. what type of wood would they use ?

I have seen iron in the water plug a pinhole in a tank after it leaks for awhile.

My pump can not make enough pressure to rocket the tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is cool. what type of wood would they use ?

I have seen iron in the water plug a pinhole in a tank after it leaks for awhile.

My pump can not make enough pressure to rocket the tank.

As long as it is dry wood I don't think it matters much. A sliver off a 2x4 will work.

And it doesn't take much pressure to make a rocket tank. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks