Issue with Rain Bird ESP-me controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by aguaman, Aug 29, 2013.

1. aguaman

aguaman New Member

Hello,
    just got an irrigation system put in with a Rain Bird ESP-me controller. I have 4 zones with zone 4 set up for a future veg garden so it's not in use. The controller is programmed to run 5 minutes every day starting at 8 am. The issue is this: I noticed that it goes on 5 minutes in zones 1 thru 3 and then back another 5 minutes zones 1 thru 3 and another 5 minutes for the 3 zones. It is programmed to run 5 minutes so why is it really runnig 45 minutes in total?

This is very puzzling to me. I reset the controller twice and programmed it all from scratch but still runs a total of 45 minutes.
    Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :D
  2. BRD

BRD New Member

You have probably confused run times with start times. For prog. A, set each individual station with the run time you want for each (5min.) Then go to program start times and assign just ONE start time. Each zone will run in sequence one right after the other until done. Start time 2 and 3 should be "off".
  3. dj2

dj2 Member

You have to read the setup instructions and understand them, to be able to follow them. Once you understand it, it's fairly simple to do.
    In most cases, these timers are much more than what homeowners actually need. Some of the features are never used, but they are there.
  4. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

You mean read the Manual ?

What a concept.

Good Luck if it is in plain English, Now a Days.
  5. dj2

dj2 Member

Haha, it's true...

I have helpers, to whom ENGLISH is not their first language, but they manage to read, understand and execute instructions.

Ah, I forgot, the instructions have a Spanish version on the other side.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

this is ALWAYS an operator error

pro controllers never start a zone, they start a program - the error comes when someone mistakenly believes they have to assign a start time for each zone of the system

only one start time - cancel the second and third start times
  7. DonL

More like Operator Overlook.
  8. aguaman

aguaman New Member

Re-reading the manual and based on BRD's comments, I see that the SET WATERING TIMES is to program the starts times of a PROGRAM (or PROGRAMS) and NOT the zones. I had 2 and 3 thinking them as zones but the controller took them as programs 2 and 3. After 1 ended, program 2 would start and then 3. That's why it ran 3 times. I set to OFF the PROGRAMS 2 and 3 and sure enough it only run a total of 15 minutes (5 minutes per zone).

It is running fine now as I wanted it. Thanks for all the replies and to BRD for hitting the nail in the head.
  9. DonL

Cool Beans. Thanks for the report.

Enjoy.
  10. Recon0321

Recon0321 New Member

This seems to be explained in a confusing manner. The station start times have to be set according to your desired start times for each station to run. It seems the simple answer to aguamans question would be to ensure that you only have one program running (A or b or c).
  11. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

THERE ARE NO STATION START TIMES!! THERE ARE ONLY PROGRAM START TIMES!!

Repeat this until you are certain you will never spread misinformation about this aspect of lawn sprinkler controller programming.
  12. DonL

Sorry to have disappointed you with my post.

I think the problem has been solved.

I Love when that happens, thanks to www.terrylove.com.
  13. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Good stuff.

For the future, when you do have your vegetable garden planted, you will want to water it less often - maybe only once or twice a week. That is where you can set up your system so that Zone 4 (veg garden) runs for, say, 30 minutes every Sunday, and program this in Program B (assuming the rest of the lawn is watered in Program A). That's the beauty of having multiple programs -- you can run a zone, or several zones, on a different schedule from the rest. You may already know this.