is it normal for water sprouting out from the sprinkler valve vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Breakpoint

Reaction score
Hello all, I would like to know if it is normal for water to sprout out from the sprinkler valve vent when shutting off. I have a combination of rainbird 075-ASVF and DAS/ASVF-075 valves recently installed. (not sure if it is 3/4" or 1") But I have noticed it is not happening to the DAS/ASVF-075 valves (water not sprouting out from the sprinkler valve vent when shutting off, but causing some banging noise on the pipe. These two DAS/ASVF-075 valves locations are in the back yard and those 075-ASVF are in the front yard. My next question is that are the differences in the models of the valves are causing noise to the pipe or because water is not sprouting out from the DAS/ASVF-075 valves are the cause for the noise. And should water be sprouting out from all sprinkler valve vents? Please advise.

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
Yes, it's normal for atmospheric valves such as yours to spurt slightly when sealing. As for the noise it sounds like water hammer from to much pressure. Are those two valves on a separate water source, if so you may need to install a pressure regulator at the source.

Breakpoint

Reaction score
Yes, it's normal for atmospheric valves such as yours to spurt slightly when sealing. As for the noise it sounds like water hammer from to much pressure. Are those two valves on a separate water source, if so you may need to install a pressure regulator at the source.

No, they are from the same water source.

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
I just checked the rain bird site about the valves and it's recomended to try turning down the flow control on the valve to soften the water hammer. My recomendation is a half turn and test then another half turn and test being sure not to go to far and shut the valve completly.

casey.robert.irving

Reaction score
Try this.

I just checked the rain bird site about the valves and it's recomended to try turning down the flow control on the valve to soften the water hammer. My recomendation is a half turn and test then another half turn and test being sure not to go to far and shut the valve completly.

This is what I would try first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks