Is a “san tee†required?

Users who are viewing this thread

lahabra

Reaction score
Can I connect a toilet to a sewer line and simply vent the sewer line within 3’ of the toilet?

I want to install a toilet flange, drop 6” into an elbow run horizontally 3’ connect a vent and then connect to the end of a sewer line
(no “san tee”).

Is that ok?

wc........v………………………..........street

UPC code limit is six feet from flange to vent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What you are proposing for the vent is not uncommon, and 3' distance is OK. Be aware that you cannot take that vent off horizontally. It would need to be a wye rolled to 45º. The vent pipe would need to proceed vertically ( straight up, or ~45º angle) until it is 6" higher than the rim of the fixture.

Is this new construction? What is that straight line you are connecting to?? I hope it is not an existing cleanout that you are tying in to?

Construct30

Reaction score
What you are proposing for the vent is not uncommon, and 3' distance is OK. Be aware that you cannot take that vent off horizontally. It would need to be a wye rolled to 45º. The vent pipe would need to proceed vertically ( straight up, or ~45º angle) until it is 6" higher than the rim of the fixture.

This is correct according to IPC. Unless you have a wall close to the vent, I don't see how you will maintain the 45 or straight up part when you are dropping from the flange down only six inches to the elbow. Hopefully you are running perpendicular to the wall behind the toilet or there is another wall there. Just something to be aware of. If you were running perpendicular to the wall behind the toilet then you would only be 12" to the vent take off. Is there a side wall 3' from the toilet? If you are trying to run in a joist space, you may not be able to do what you have planned. I can't picture a wall being 3' in front of the toilet, that would not be up to code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks