Is 1/2 inserted into ABS fitting OK?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Buttonsrtoys, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

I'm just finished installing my 3" drain for a new powder room. I got the pipes inserted the full 1.5" in each fitting except one pipe that was in a really cramped spot, which I only got inserted half way (3/4") into the fittings on each end. Its supported with straps and well glued. Because it's in such a cramped spot, I'm hoping not to have to take it out. Is it OK?
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

The short answer is No. The long answer is Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  3. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

Can you elaborate? is the concern that it will fail down the road even of it's not leaking now?
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Read your code book.
  5. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

I'm a home owner. I don't have a code book. Regardless, I'm just liking to know whether it will hold.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If it's installed 50% of the way, there is a 50% chance of it failing.

Your goal in any DIY project should be to do it at least as good as a professional tradesman would.

Plastic fittings and cement are cheap. You should cut it out and fix it.