irrigation filter (water from irrigation ditch)

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by jviren, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jviren

jviren New Member

We just got an irrigation system put it, and the water comes from the irrigation ditch (like many people in this area). There are two filters on the system, but it still gets quite plugged with debris, causing me to have to check it several times a day. This can't be a full-time job.... Any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

No suggestions, just a comment. This is one of the reasons I elected to go with city water for irrigation. No filters, no weed seeds, and water whenever I want it. Yes, I pay for it, but to me at least, I is worth it. (Irrigation water isn't exactly free either.)
  3. scottallard

scottallard New Member

What sort of filters are you using? You wouldn't happen to have an artisial well on your property would you?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Depending on what he is watering, the city might NOT allow him to use "fresh water". The filters are doing what they are supposed to, namely catch the "garbage". If there is that much material in the water, you either have to keep doing what you are, or get "larger" filters which can go for a longer time before you have to clean them.
  5. bcrumb

bcrumb New Member

Try using a sand filter for an above ground pool. I am using one now, Haward 166t model. You can backwash to clean filter. I am about to try and "automate" the backwash process by connecting another "zone". When this zone runs, it will open two valves and close another, backwashing the filter. There are costs involved, of course, but worth it in the end. Go to Irrigationtutorials.com to find a drawing of how to set up a system to autobackwash. You will need two filters. I recommend the sand filter as primary and you can probably use one of your existing filters as the secondary. Good luck!