irrigation filter (water from irrigation ditch)

Users who are viewing this thread

jviren

Reaction score
We just got an irrigation system put it, and the water comes from the irrigation ditch (like many people in this area). There are two filters on the system, but it still gets quite plugged with debris, causing me to have to check it several times a day. This can't be a full-time job.... Any suggestions? Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No suggestions, just a comment. This is one of the reasons I elected to go with city water for irrigation. No filters, no weed seeds, and water whenever I want it. Yes, I pay for it, but to me at least, I is worth it. (Irrigation water isn't exactly free either.)

scottallard

Reaction score
What sort of filters are you using? You wouldn't happen to have an artisial well on your property would you?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on what he is watering, the city might NOT allow him to use "fresh water". The filters are doing what they are supposed to, namely catch the "garbage". If there is that much material in the water, you either have to keep doing what you are, or get "larger" filters which can go for a longer time before you have to clean them.

bcrumb

Reaction score
Try using a sand filter for an above ground pool. I am using one now, Haward 166t model. You can backwash to clean filter. I am about to try and "automate" the backwash process by connecting another "zone". When this zone runs, it will open two valves and close another, backwashing the filter. There are costs involved, of course, but worth it in the end. Go to Irrigationtutorials.com to find a drawing of how to set up a system to autobackwash. You will need two filters. I recommend the sand filter as primary and you can probably use one of your existing filters as the secondary. Good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks