Intake vs. Discharge sizing (shallow well)

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dbolong, Apr 4, 2011.

1. dbolong

dbolong New Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I use my shallow well pump for irrigation only. Set at 40/20 psi. Intake is 1 inch pvc-discharge 3/4 inch pex to spigot.

I have got it to where the pump will not turn off as long as I have 3 sprinklers minimum hooked up to it.

However, when I do hook 3 sprinklers up to it, the pump keeps at about 35 psi but the sprinklers are not exactly super high volume. Acceptable, but could be better.

Should I increase my intake to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2? Would this increase my volume to a point to where maybe I could use less sprinklers to keep the pump running? Or will I be limited to the 3/4 inch discharge (that I do not want to change.)

I've learned a lot with this little project of mine and appreciate all the help!
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Pump Controls Technician
    Lubbock, Texas
    Try turing the pressure switch up to 30/50 and see if you can run only 2 sprinklers without cycling.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement