Install: Is caulking the base really necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

lairdwd

Reaction score
Hi folks.

My plumber told me they don't caulk, and left it up to my discression to do so. THe toilet is very steady, and there is no wobbling, so I'm really wondering more for down the road if the caulk has any added value to enhancing the longevity of the setup/components.

Second question - in Jamie's instructions, he recommends sanding down the inside of the bowl where the rubber gasket attaches. Assuming this step was omitted, and install is fine, will this cause problems down the road? Why does Jamie do this?

Thanks, you guys are the best! I've learned so much from this forum.

Cheers,
Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In some places, the inspector want the thing caulked. It also helps keep crud from dribbling under the toilet where you can't see it or clean it easily. Last, it helps anchor the thing to the floor better to help prevent it from getting knocked if someone happens to fall against it.

If the casting is rough, it is hard to get a good seal. If you got one, then no problem...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Caulking a toilet is very important if there is a room, apartment, etc., underneath. If the toilet or tub overflows, it will minimize water damage to the ceiling below. Other than that, it might be necessary to caulk a toilet if the toilet flange is slightly higher than the floor, to help stabilize it after it has been shimmed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks