Increasing gas line size to extend length

Users who are viewing this thread

Bluebinky

Reaction score
It is NOT the job of an inspector to QA the workmanship. Bottom line is it either passes a pressure test or it doesn't. He will try to find obvious code violations, but will NOT have the opportunity to inspect every joint visually. It would be unusual for an inspector to fail a job on quality of craftmanship unless there it was a SERIOUS mess. There aren't enough inspectors, you couldn't afford it if they did inspect like that, it would get over into an area that is WAY too subjective. A first year apprentice may do a pipe job that does not look as pretty as a 20 year journeyman would put together...but if the joints are sound, that is what counts. The construction industry perforce accepts a certain variability in workmanship. We could argue about this all day!

I agree, but it's pretty scary to me. No plan check, no license, no 15 minute leak-down check, and I could have done 99% of it using PVC or whatever and it would have passed with the bad fitting that I only noticed because it was leaking less than 1/2 psi per *day*...

Don't want to give advice about gas work, but I can't help saying that -- as for what size pipe to use, read (and re-read) and understand the appropriate code...it will tell you how to figure it out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, clearly. The object is to make the extension's impact as negligible as possible. Without disassembling the licensed, permitted, and inspected work that was done before, I cannot correct that problem.

May we assume that you are winging this...that is no plan check, no permit? Because that is where marginally adequate design may be uncovered. It is generally not allowed to design something to " make the impact as negligible as possible". By working on the system , you would be required to bring some things into code, or your additions would not be approved. I can't imagine anywhere in the Bay Area where county codes allow gas work without a permit. You are practicing what you have been preaching against!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks