Inconsistant hot water to one of two upstairs bathroom showers.

Users who are viewing this thread

handyman2011

Reaction score
Both have Kohler showers with a diverter within the tub faucet.

Here is the issue

- The hot water range in the tub valve is very small, turn the faucet to max hot water then back it off counterclockwise about a 5-7 degree and you're in the cold water range. Imagine a clock and the hot water range only being between 11 - 12 oclock (if at that) when I feel it should go at least from 9 - 12 oclock.

Will replacing the cartridge help this problem?

Any advice to what could be causing these issues is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
Wow I have never heard of this before today! but I got a call from a customer today with the same problem. My guess is that the seals inside of the Kohler valve are damaged and the higher pressure from the low flow head is allowing the cold to bleed over to the mixed water. I would suggest a total valve rebuild new balance cartridge and cap assembly. Jerry is that You?
George

handyman2011

Reaction score
Wow I have never heard of this before today! but I got a call from a customer today with the same problem. My guess is that the seals inside of the Kohler valve are damaged and the higher pressure from the low flow head is allowing the cold to bleed over to the mixed water. I would suggest a total valve rebuild new balance cartridge and cap assembly. Jerry is that You?
George

I'm having a plumber come over on Monday to check it out. He suspects there might be sediment clogging the hot water side? He can't make a full diagnosis until he sees what is happening.
We had to replace our hot water heater two weeks ago and the guy at the time didn't flush out the lines by opening the tub faucets but instead had me turn on sink faucets which clogged most of them, and he had to spend another hour unclogging them for free :)
A valve rebuild isn't too much money in parts is it? Also I think I'll need a new diverter since there is some
leakage from the tub faucet when the showerhead is running

***UPDATE***
Turns out there was major sediment deposits within the hot water side of the cartridge? He was able to remove it and now it's working fine. He also adjust the knob so the hot water would kick in once you go into that range versus going all the way to the max before getting hot water.
He did say within a year or so I should have the cartridge replaced, because once I turn the water off it takes about 5-10 seconds before water stops dripping out of the shower faucet.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks