In-Line Lint & Pet-Hair Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark_G

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but I still haven't seen anything that solves my problem.

I would like to insert into a 2" or 3" pvc waste line a trap to catch fine lint (esp from man-made fibers), pet hair and other grunge from the drainline that services our under-construction laundry room (branch only to serve laundry-pet sink and washing machine).

Is something like this available?
Thanks for the help. --Mark

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know how many people here ever suffered with hair loss, but this is from my voice of experience. My idea I used was for the tub drain, it probably won't work where you need it to, but for anyone who is washing their hair in the shower, what I did, was simply this.

I found the metal basket thing which fits inside the drain the holes were still to large and wouldn't catch the hair, so, I simply took a nylon stocking and fitted it around it and it caught it all. I made sure while still on chemo to brush my hair before I showered to lessen the amount which would fall out. It works like a dream.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

It depends on where it will be mounted. If it serves a branch for multiple fixtures then the floor mounted interceptor would probably be the best choice. For individual fixtures the hair interceptor "P" trap would be preferable.

Mark_G

Reaction score
There will be a 3" branch to service the laundry and dog sink, so I wanted something to catch hair and lint from those two sources. We're on septic and I know from experience those two sources can contribute a lot to future problems.

The in-floor interceptors look good, but they're expen$ive! I was hoping to find something like the larger p-trap w/filter, but that could be fitted inline in the 3" line in the basement, where cleaning would be easier--as well as installation.

Thanks for more feedback and your help. --Mark

muleshoe

Reaction score
I am a groomer w/ this trap...

Mark, I am a home groomer w/ a septic tank. I got the Quick Clean Sink Trap shown on this page http://www.saloninteriors.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SI&Category_Code=MSC . While it seems to need cleaning every five or six dogs, it is relatively easy to do (I place a bucket under it to catch the water). I also recently got the Cast Iron Hair Trap, but it looks harder to clean. I havent installed it yet to try it out.

As for your washing machine, I would worry more about the dog hair, and make sure the trap is clean or you could have a back-up situation. I put a drain in the floor of my washroom in the new house.

good luck! Diane @ The Dirty Dawg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

I have used large PVC "Y" strainers with double unions for easy installation. They have fine screens and are easily serviced by removing the cap. For my installation, I removed the fine screen and kept the one with large holes because I was catching golf balls.

slickgjones

Reaction score
Anyone know what this is?

Hey,

Does anyone know who makes something like this (see attachment)? It's a filter housing with a removable HDPE filter basket. I just can't seem to find out who makes this or what it was originally made for. I think it would work similar to what you are describing above but without a real datasheet I don't know if it's an approved plumbing component or not.

thanks,

Attachments

• basket-filter.jpg
    basket-filter.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 8,221
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks