Identify this shower valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

njguy99

Reaction score
Hi -- my plumber is flummoxed, and so are a few others he's asked, so I figured I'd post here.

I have a leaky circa 1941 shower valve that looks like American Standard on the outside, but the stems don't seem to be. Any ideas what brand they might be and if parts are available?

(It's on an outside wall, so the only other option is cracking the tile and replacing the entire setup, which I'd rather not have to do...)

Pictures below...

saloway shower2.jpg

saloway cartridge.jpg

saloway stem3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unfortunately, without a ruler next to it, or an "actual" size picture, it looks like a LOT of different ones. The cross handles with the screw in index caps were an American Standard feature but most of them had a tapered spline for the handle.

Asktom

Reaction score
The number of splines on the broach where the handle goes on is also a key clue. Yours looks like 16, right?

njguy99

Reaction score
Ah shoot... I didn't count the splines before the plumber re-installed it so we could have a working shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks