ice machine plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

capnbo

Reaction score
Hello All

Just finished my man cave/shop in the back yard and want to plumb in the water and drain line for a Manitowac NEO U-140 before I finish the interior. I have steel siding up on the inside. I plan to do the drain like the attached drawing. My questions are as follows:

1) I plan to use PVC for the through wall/to outside line and increaser coupling. Drain outlet on back of the machine is 1/2" pipe thread. Should I go PVC or copper for this line/vent to the increaser? What size lines do you recommend for both sections?

2) I have a 2" PVC water supply line that is capped off at the corner of the building where the machine will be. Not sure how to tie into this line to supply water inside to the machine. Water inlet fitting is 3/8" pipe thread on the back of the machine.
This 2" supply line will also have a garden hose faucet and supply water to a fish cleaning table/sink.

The spec sheet stated this machine should not be used where the outside air temperature exceeds 110 deg. The shop will not be air conditioned but is well insulated. In south MS the humidity is always high and hot hot June-August. Do you think a water cooled model would be better?

Appreciate your comments and suggestions.

icemaker drain.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First of all, PVC is not approved for indoor water supply. If you have copper, use copper for most of the distance then adapt to flex tubing to make the final connection. Do not use the saddle valve method of tying into the main supply, use a tee followed with a shut off valve then go to the rest of the line. The flex tube give you freedom to move the ice maker out for cleaning under without risking kinking the pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Installing the ice maker vent and drain in PVC will be fine.

Many water services are run in PVC underground, and it sounds like yours comes up with a shutoff valve from the ground.
For code, to supply water, I would consider copper, PEX or CPVC
If you are near enough, it may just take a flex connector for your ice maker.

On the ice maker drain, I like to cut the pipe end at an angle where it hangs over the funnel. It lets the water drop down straighter.

Last edited:

capnbo

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions and comments. I will call the city and make sure everything meets our inspection codes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks