I may have been Stupid /Spool style Pitless

Users who are viewing this thread

Fosterdave37

Reaction score
Ok so I may have done something stupid! After doing some grade work around my home my well casing was sticking out of the ground a good 30 inches. So figuring I had a normal pitless adapter I would just get the grinder out and cut some off (could not get the threaded cap off) so after cutting it off it would not lift off. looking inside I could see a 1" pipe. I figured it was a pull rod connected to the pitless. Then I got a flashlight and looked down the casing. I saw the pull pipe and what looked like a cover plate. After some research I found out I have a Baker/ Whitewater spool style pitless adapter. Now some details

I have a 2" well with a jet pump in the crawlspace. casing above the ground is 3"ID.

Now some of the spool pitless I saw on line had what they are calling a hold down rod that goes from the top of the pitless to some type of clamping device that goes up to the well cap. That's the 1" pipe that I see inside the casing and the reason the casing wont lift off.

What exactly does this hold down rod do? I thought that gravity and O rings held the pitless in. If I cut the hold down rod am I going to cause more problems then I've already made? Where do I go from here?

New to the forum Thanks for any advise!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
On some wells a hold-down rod is used to ensure that the pitless stays in space as the water level rising up can float the drop pipe.