I keep running out of water

Users who are viewing this thread

hunch1784

Reaction score
I just bought this house in October of last year. I have plenty of water pressure most of the time however whenever i am doing laundry and i do a couple of loads in a row my water pressure gets extremly low and sometimes i even run out of water completely. My well is 64' deep, depth to water is approximatly 15' and the pump is said to be about 3' from the bottom. Do you think my pump needs replaced or could i be having another problem?

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
From the sound of your post. I think the well may be running out of water.
If you don't have any problems on a normal day, but if you are using a lot of water, you seem to run out.
From that it tells me the well may not be producing the amount of water you are trying to use.
I don't think your pump is bad.

You may have to space out your washing.
Just try not to use a lot of water at one time.

Just some thoughts I had.
Travis

hunch1784

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, now i have another question for you how do i check if the well is drying out when i do run out of water again. Is there a good simple way for me to check the depth to water when my water does run out, and also could my pump burn up from running dry?

My well has a 6" round steel pipe that sticks about 4' feet out of the ground that the wires run through. I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me.

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Run at least a couple of hoses wide open until the water stops coming. Time how long the hoses are running. While you are waiting, measure how long it takes for each hose to fill a 5 gallon bucket. When the water stops, the well is dry, and your water level is at the pump intake. Quickly turn off the power to the pump, because a couple of minutes of dry running and you pump will be toast.

Wait an hour and do this all over again. The first time will tell you the total gallons stored in your well. (Gallons per minute times the minutes) The second time will give you the recovery volume and time. (Gallons per hour)

If total gallons available over time is not adequate, a cistern and booster pump may be needed.

There are products that will shut the pump off when the well is dry. These can save your pump and let you produce the most available from a weak well.

http://cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor_geninfo.html

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks